Current Affairs 11 May 2020
Hello Aspirants, Here we provide the important and Latest Current Affairs Today 11 May 2020, which have Latest updates of Current Affairs 2020 from all the newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economics Times, PIB, Times of India, Business Standard, Financial Express, Indian Express and all other official Government websites.
If you want to get more marks in Banking, SSC, Insurance, Railways, UPSC, RPSC, UPPSC and other state exams then you should read Our Current Affairs May 2020 for secured your job in Government Sector. We also provide Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2020 PDF which will be helpful for you to crack the exams.
Top 10 Current Affairs of 11 May 2020
GSK sells its entire 5.7% holding in HUL for over Rs 25,000 crore
- Glaxo-SmithKline (GSK) sold its entire 5.7 per cent stake in Hindustan Unilever (HUL) for more than Rs 25,000 crore.
- GSK will no longer hold any HUL shares.
- GSK wanted to focus on its pharma R&D pipeline including its bets on experimental cancer treatments.
- More than 133 million shares of HUL were sold through multiple large transactions.
- The shares were sold in the range of Rs 1,900-Rs 1,950.
- Société Générale bought 12.9 million shares for Rs 2,450 crore at Rs 1,902 apiece.
- In 2018, GlaxoSmithKline made an exit from Horlicks……Click Here to Read More
PE firm Vista equity to invest ₹ 11,367 crore in Jio Platforms
- Private equity firm Vista Equity Partners will invest Rs11,367 crore in Jio Platforms for a 2.32% stake.
- This is Jio Platforms’ third deal after Facebook and Silver Lake’s share acquisition plans over the last two weeks.
- Jio Platforms has now raised ₹ 60,596.37 crore from leading technology investors in less than three weeks.
- This investment values Jio Platforms at an equity value of ₹4.91 lakh crore and an enterprise value of ₹5.16 lakh crore
- With this deal, Jio Platforms will have a net combined ₹60,596 crore for the unit of Reliance Industries which comprises mainly……Click Here to Read More
AIIB clears $500-mn loan to support India’s fight against COVID-19
- The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved funding of $500 million to support India’s efforts to fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The government and the AIIB signed a COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project that would help strengthen India’s public health preparedness.
- The National Health Mission (NHM),
- The National Centre for Disease……Click Here to Read More
India rejects Nepal claim on Mansarovar
- India rejected Nepal’s claim that the recently inaugurated link road in Uttarakhand passes through its territory.
- The link road is from Dharchula (Uttrakhand) to Lipulekh near the Chinaborder. It cuts travel time to Mansarovar.
- India has claimed that the region lies completely within Indian borders.
- The high-altitude road from was inaugurated by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
- It is a 80 kilometre road and the altitude rises from 6,000 to 17,060 feet.
- The road originates from Ghatiabagarh and terminates……Click Here to Read More
ICMR partners with Bharat Biotech to develop Covid-19 vaccine
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has partnered with Bharat Biotech International Limited (BBIL) to develop a fully indigenous vaccine for COVID-19.
- It will be developed using the virus strain isolated at the ICMR’s National Institute of Virology (NIV), Pune.
- The strain has been successfully transferred from NIV to BBIL
- The ICMR-NIV will provide continuous support to BBIL for vaccine development.
- ICMR and BBIL will seek fast-track approvals to expedite vaccine development, subsequent animal studies and clinical evaluation……Click Here to Read More
CSIR to begin clinical trial of drugs favipiravir, phytopharmaceutical for Covid-19 treatment
- The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has received approval from Drug Controller General of India (DGCI) for its two clinical trial drugs – ‘favipiravir’ and ‘phytopharmaceutical’ – to combat coronavirus.
ABOUT FAVIPRAVIR (T-705)
- It is a drug which is commonly used in Japan, China and some other countries.
- It is sold under the brand name Avigan.
- It is used to treat influenza that has a very broad spectrum of RNA polymerase.
- It is derived from Pyrazinamide that is frequently used against West Nile virus, Arenavirus or Bunyavirus, and Yellow fever etc.
- It is being developed and manufactured by Toyama Chemical (Fujifilm group) and was approved for medical use in Japan in 2014.
- In 2016, Fujifilm licensed API for it to Zhejiang……Click Here to Read More
DRDO lab develops automated UV systems-DRUVS to sanitise electronic gadgets, papers and NOTESCLEAN to sanitise currency notes
- Research Centre Imarat (RCI), Hyderabad has developed an automated contactless UV-C (UltraViolet-C) sanitisation cabinet, called Defence Research Ultraviolet Sanitiser (DRUVS).
- It has been designed to sanitise mobile phones, iPads, laptops, currency notes, cheque leafs, challans, passbooks, paper, envelopes, etc.
- It has also developed an automated UVC currency sanitising device, called NOTESCLEAN.
- It has contactless operation which is very important to contain the spread of virus.
- The proximity sensor switches, clubbed with drawer opening and closing mechanism, makes its operation automatic and contactless.
- It provides 360 degree exposure of UVC to……Click Here to Read More
Yogi Adityanath launches ‘Pravasi Raahat Mitra’ App for migrant workers
- Uttar Pradesh Chief MinisterYogi Adityanath launched the ‘Pravasi Rahat Mitra’ App.
- The mobile app has been developed by the state revenue department in collaboration with United Nation Development Program.
FEATURES OF APP
- It is aimed at aiding migrant citizens coming to Uttar Pradesh from other states so that they can take advantage of government schemes.
- It will also help to monitor their health besides providing jobs and livelihood, related to their skills.
- The exchange of information by various departments of the government will help in planning and formulating programs for employment and livelihood of these migrant citizens.
- The status of distribution of ration kits to……Click Here to Read More
Mission Sagar launched by the Government of India
- The Government of India has launched Mission Sagar, an outreach program amidst COVID-19 situation.
- Under this, India sent Food Items, COVID related Medicines including HCQ Tablets and Special Ayurvedic Medicines with Medical Assistance Teams embarked to Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Comoros.
- The operation is being progressed in close coordination with the Ministries of Defence and External Affairs, and other agencies of the Government of India.
- The Indian Naval Ship Kesari has been deployed under the mission.
- The ship would enter the Port of Male in Republic of Maldives, to provide them 600 tons of food provisions.
- It is in line with India’s role as the first……Click Here to Read More
Central government releases Infant Mortality Rate and Birth rate data for 2018
- Recently, the Central government has released the Sample Registration System (SRS) bulletin based on data collected for 2018.
- This data was released by the Registrar General of India.
- It states that the national birth rate in 2018 stood at 20, and death and infant mortality rates stood at 6.2 and 32, respectively.
- These rates are calculated per one thousand of the population.
INFANT MORTALITY RATE (IMR)
- Mortality is one of the basic components of population change.
- This data is essential for demographic studies and public health administration.
- The death rate of India has witnessed a significant decline over the last four decades from 14.9 in 1971 to 6.2 in 2018. The decline has been steeper in rural areas.
- In the last decade, death rate at an all-India level has declined from 7.3 to 6.2. The corresponding decline in rural areas……Click Here to Read More
UN agencies commemorate 40th anniversary of smallpox eradication with a stamp
- On 8th May 2020, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the UN’’s postal agency have released a commemorative postage stamp on the 40th anniversary of the eradication of smallpox.
- Smallpox was eradicated on the back of a 10-year-old effort spearheaded by the WHO involving thousands of health workers around the world to administer half a billion vaccinations.
ABOUT THE STAMP
- The commemorative stamp was designed and developed by Sergio Baradat, United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA) in collaboration with WHO.
- The stamp recognises the global solidarity in fighting smallpox.
- It can be used to mail postcards and letters around the world, provided that they are sent from the UN headquarters in New York, Geneva or Vienna respectively.
- It honours millions of people working together, from world leaders and international organisations to rural doctors and community health workers, to eradicate smallpox.
- Successful smallpox eradication programme yielded vital knowledge and tools for the field of disease surveillance, the benefits of vaccination and the importance of health promotion in fighting other diseases.
- WHO used to spend USD 300 million……Click Here to Read More
Ministry of Defence inks₹1,200-cr deal with Tata Power SED to upgrade 37 airbases
- Tata Power SED has won a contract worth Rs 1,200 crore for the Modernization of Air field Infrastructure (MAFI) from the defence ministry.
- It involves the modernization of 37 airfields for Indian Air Force (IAF), Indian Navy (IN) and Indian Coast Guard (ICG) in the second phase of the MAFI.
- In the first phase, 30 airfields of IAF were upgraded.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
- It includes installation and commissioning of modern airfield equipment like Cat-II Instrument Landing System (ILS) and Cat II Air Field Lightning System (AFLS).
- The modern equipment around the airfield will also be directly connected to Air Traffic Control (ATC), thereby providing control of the airfield……Click Here to Read More
Time of Remembrance and Reconciliation for Those who Lost their Lives during Second World War (May 8-9) (75th anniversary)
- May 8-9 are dedicated by the United Nations as the Time of Remembrance and reconciliation for those who lost their lives during the Second World War.
- The day pays tribute to all the victims of the Second World War.
- In 2020, it is the 75th Anniversary of World War II.
HISTORY AND OTHER IMPORTANT HIGHLIGHTS
- 8–9 May was declared as a time of remembrance and reconciliation by resolution 59/26 of 22 November 2004;
- May 8 is the anniversary of the date when the World War II Alliesaccepted the unconditional surrender of the armed……Click Here to Read More
World Migratory Bird Day-9 May
- It is an annual event that is celebrated to raise awareness about conservation and ecological importance of migratory birds in the global ecosystem.
- Every year people around the world take action and organize public events such as bird festivals, education programmes, exhibitions and bird-watching excursions to celebrate WMBD
THEME 2020 AND ITS IMPORTANCE
- Theme-“Birds Connect Our World”.
- This theme was chosenin order to highlight the importance of conservation and restoration of ecological connectivity and integrity of ecosystems that support the movement of these birds.
- It is a UN-led campaign that aims to raise awareness of migratory birds and the importance of international cooperation to conserve them.
- It is organized by a collaborative partnership among two UN treaties – the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS) and the……Click Here to Read More
Attempt Today Current Affairs Quiz – 10th and 11th May 2020 Based on Above Current Affairs Updates
Current Affairs Today
[table id=17 /]
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें