ICMR partners with Bharat Biotech to develop Covid-19 vaccine
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has partnered with Bharat Biotech International Limited (BBIL) to develop a fully indigenous vaccine for COVID-19.
- It will be developed using the virus strain isolated at the ICMR’s National Institute of Virology (NIV), Pune.
- The strain has been successfully transferred from NIV to BBIL
- The ICMR-NIV will provide continuous support to BBIL for vaccine development.
- ICMR and BBIL will seek fast-track approvals to expedite vaccine development, subsequent animal studies and clinical evaluation of the candidate vaccine.
- COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered corona virus.
- Corona viruses are a large family of viruses which may cause illness in animals or humans. In humans, several coronaviruses are known to cause respiratory infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
- The most recently discovered coronavirus causes coronavirus disease COVID-19.
- This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019.
- Most people infected with the COVID-19 virus will experience mild to moderate respiratory illness and recover without requiring special treatment. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer are more likely to develop serious illness.
- Apex body in Indiafor the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research.
- HQ- New Delhi
- Secretary and Director General-Dr. Balram Bhargava
- Indian virology research institute under Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
- Founder-Krishna Ella
- Founded in-1996
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें