Current Affairs 22 May 2020
Hello Aspirants, Here we provide the important and Latest Current Affairs Today 22 May 2020, which have Latest updates of Current Affairs 2020 from all the newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economics Times, PIB, Times of India, Business Standard, Financial Express, Indian Express and all other official Government websites.
If you want to get more marks in Banking, SSC, Insurance, Railways, UPSC, RPSC, UPPSC and other state exams then you should read Our Current Affairs May 2020 for secured your job in Government Sector. We also provide Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2020 PDF which will be helpful for you to crack the exams.
Top 10 Current Affairs of 22 May 2020
Defence Ministry approves procurement of 26 defence items from local suppliers to boost ‘Make in India’
- Ministry of Defence has approved procurement of 26 defence items only from local suppliers to boost Make in India.
- The government has issued Public Procurement (Preference to Make in India) Order 2017 to encourage Make in India and to promote manufacturing and production of goods and services in India.
- Under this order, Department of Defence Production (DDP)….Click Here to Read More
Centre clears OIL plans for drilling in Assam’s Dibru Saikhowa Park
- The Oil India Limited (OIL) said that union Ministry of environment, forest and climate change accorded environment clearance for extension of drilling for hydrocarbon exploration inside Dibru Saikhowa National Park in eastern Assam.
- The oil PSU said the clearance for extension drilling and testing at seven locations under the national park was given as part of the Centre’s target to reduce 10% imports and the Northeast Vision 2030.
- The Centre’s decision led many environmentalists in Assam express concern that this could disturb the ecology and environment of the….Click Here to Read More
Centre launches scheme to solarise entire Konark Temple
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) today announced that the Central Government has launched a scheme for complete solarisation of Konark Sun temple and Konark town in Odisha.
- “Government of India has launched a scheme for 100% solarisation of Konark Sun Temple and Konark town,” a press statement issued by the Ministry.
- The scheme envisages 10 MW grid connected solar project and various solar off-grid applications like solar trees, solar drinking water….Click Here to Read More
India becomes world’s second largest manufacturer of PPE body coveralls
- India has change into the world’s second largest manufacturer of private protecting gear (PPE) body coveralls inside a short while span of two months.
- China is the world’s main producer of PPE body coveralls, essential to safeguard in opposition to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Ministry of Textiles stated it has been taking a number of steps to make sure that each high quality and amount of PPE coveralls going as much as the specified ranges inside a really brief span of time of two months,….Click Here to Read More
India, Bangladesh sign pact to operationalise 5 more ports of call, 2 new routes
- India and Bangladesh signed an agreement to operationalise five new ports of call and two new protocol routes to boost the bilateral trade.
- High Commissioner of India in Bangladesh, Riva Ganguly Das, and Bangladesh Shipping Secretary Mohammad Mezbah Uddin Chowdhury signed the 2nd Addendum to the Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade in Dhaka.
- India and Bangladesh during Standing ….Click Here to Read More
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan set to take charge as WHO Executive Board chairman
- Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan is set to take charge as the chairman of the World Health Organization (WHO) Executive Board.
- The Executive Board is composed of 34 technically qualified members elected for three-year terms.
- The chairman’s post is held by rotation for one year among regional groups.
- The main functions of the Board are to implement the decisions and policies of the Health Assembly and facilitate its work.
- Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan had on Monday….Click Here to Read More
Airtel Africa extends e-learning support to students with UNICEF
- Bharti Airtel Africa arm has teamed up with UNICEF to provide children with access to remote learning and cash assistance for their families via mobile cash transfers.
- “Under this partnership, UNICEF and Airtel Africa will use mobile technology to benefit an estimated 133 million school age children currently affected by school closures in 13 countries across sub-Saharan Africa during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Airtel Africa will zero-rate select websites hosting educational content, which will provide children with remote access to digital content at no cost.
- “Some effective ways to cushion families from the….Click Here to Read More
Banking & Finance
Reliance Jio gets 5th deal, KKR to invest Rs 11,367 crore for 2.32% stake
Reliance Industries Limited’s (RIL) Jio Platforms Limited, India’s leading digital services platform, on Friday announced the sale of a 2.32 per cent stake in its digital unit to US private equity giant KKR for Rs 11,367 crore.
- The fifth deal in four weeks that will inject a combined Rs 78,562 crore in the oil-to-telecom conglomerate to help it pare debt well before its target date.
- This is KKR’s largest investment in Asia and will translate into a 2.32 per cent equity stake in Jio Platforms on a fully diluted basis.
- “This transaction values Jio Platforms at an equity value of Rs 4.91 lakh crore and an enterprise value of Rs 5.16 lakh crore.
- The deal follows Facebook picking up a 9.99 per cent stake in the firm, housing India’s youngest but largest telecom company, on April 22 for Rs 43,574 crore.
- Mukesh Ambani, Chairman and Managing Director of Reliance….Click Here to Read More
Franklin Templeton appoints Kotak Bank as advisor to wind up 6 schemes
- Franklin Templeton Trustee Services has appointed an independent advisor to monetise the assets held by the six debt schemes that are being wound up abruptly.
- The decision of the fund house to engage Kotak Mahindra Bank for selling the asset comes on instructions by market regulator SEBI and pending investor voting results, said Franklin Templeton in a statement.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank through its Debt Capital Markets team will work closely with the Franklin Templeton Trustees with all portfolio actions in the six schemes ― Franklin India Low Duration Fund, Dynamic Accrual,……..Click Here to Read More
IBM ties up with Intellect Design Arena to launch cloud services for banks, financial institutions
- Banking and insurance products company Intellect Design Arena Ltd and IBM have collaborated to launch Intellect iTurmeric FinCloud on IBM’s public cloud.
- “ITurmeric FinCloud – a cloud-ready, API-first, microservices-based platform – enables banks and financial institutions to be progressively modernized while ensuring business continuity without the risk of rip and substitution,” Arun Jain, Wisdom Design Chairman and Managing Director, told Newspapers at the Virtual Press Meet. He declined to give any numbers citing a quiet period before the financial results were declared.
- A joint press release stated that IBM is one of the….Click Here to Read More
Finance Minister exempts B2B firms from using only BHIM, RuPay for accepting payments
- The finance ministry on Wednesday exempted companies with a turnover of over ₹50 crore and involved in only B2B transactions from the requirement of accepting payments only by electronic modes like RuPay or BHIM-UPI.
- “It is clarified that the provisions of Section 269SU of the Act shall not be applicable to a specified person having only B2B transactions (i.e. no transaction with retail customer/consumer) if at least 95% of aggregate of all amounts received during the previous year, including amount received for sales, turnover or gross receipts, are by any mode other than cash,” the CBD….Click Here to Read More
Tata Power arm TPIPL acquires 10% equity in ABV; total stake rises to 50%
- Tata Power said its arm Tata Power International Pte Ltd (TPIPL) has acquired 10 per cent stake in Adjaristsqali Netherlands BV (ABV) from the International Finance Corporation (IFC) for USD 150,000 (about Rs 1.13 crore).
- The 10 per cent stake acquisition has increased TPIPL’s shareholding in ABV to 50 per cent.
- “Tata Power International Pte Ltd (TPIPL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the company, has acquired 10 per cent equity stake….Click Here to Read More
International Tea Day 2020 – 21st May 2020
The world will join hands to celebrate its first Tea Day on May 21, 2020. The day is observed primarily with a view to increasing consumption of tea.
- The UN has said tea has medicinal value and has a potential of bringing health benefits to people.
- In 2019, the United Nations (UN) recognised the importance of one of the world’s oldest beverages.
- Tea has many health benefits due to its anti-inflammatory & antioxidant properties.
- Not only has the UN recognised the medicinal property of tea, but it has also considered the beverage as an important….Click Here to Read More
National Anti Terrorism Day 2020 – Meaning, Significance
- Each year on May 21, the National Anti Terrorism Day is observed. This day is observed in order to commemorate India’s youngest former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi’s death anniversary.
- The honourable man was appointed as India’s sixth Prime Minister. He served the nation from 1984 to 1989.
- The National Anti Terrorism Day is observed in order to raise awareness amongst people that terrorism has no religion.
- To spread the message of peace, harmony,….Click Here to Read More
Current Affairs Today
|S.No.||Current Affairs 22 May 2020|
|1||Defence Ministry approves procurement of 26 defence items from local suppliers to boost ‘Make in India’|
|2||Centre clears OIL plans for drilling in Assam’s Dibru Saikhowa Park|
|3||Centre launches scheme to solarise entire Konark Temple|
|4||India becomes world’s second largest manufacturer of PPE body coveralls|
|5||India, Bangladesh sign pact to operationalise 5 more ports of call, 2 new routes|
|6||Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan set to take charge as WHO Executive Board chairman|
|7||Airtel Africa extends e-learning support to students with UNICEF|
|8||Reliance Jio gets 5th deal, KKR to invest Rs 11,367 crore for 2.32% stake|
|9||Franklin Templeton appoints Kotak Bank as advisor to wind up 6 schemes|
|10||IBM ties up with Intellect Design Arena to launch cloud services for banks, financial institutions|
|11||Finance Minister exempts B2B firms from using only BHIM, RuPay for accepting payments|
|12||Tata Power arm TPIPL acquires 10% equity in ABV; total stake rises to 50%|
|13||International Tea Day 2020 – 21st May 2020|
|14||National Anti Terrorism Day 2020 – Meaning, Significance|