International Nurses Day- 12 May (Theme 2020-Nursing the World to Health)
- International Nurses Day is celebrated around the world every May 12.
- It is the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale and this year it’s her 200th birth anniversary. She is known as the founder of modern nursing.
- International Council of Nurses commemorates this important day each year with the production and distribution of the International Nurses’ Day (IND) resources and evidence.
- This day has been celebrated since 1965.
- Dorothy Sutherland, an official with the US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, had proposed to President Dwight D Eisenhower in 1953 to proclaim a “Nurses’ Day”; but President Eisenhower rejected his request.
- But the International Council of Nurses (ICN) has been celebrating this day since 1965.
- In January 1974, May 12 was chosen to celebrate as International Nurses Day in honour of Florence Nightingale.
ABOUT YEAR OF THE NURSE AND MIDWIFE
- World Health Assembly has designated 2020 the International Year of the Nurse and the Midwife.
- This year marks the bicentenary of the birth of the founder of modern nursing, Florence Nightingale. So, WHO decided to recognize the critical contribution both professions make to global health.
- A federationof more than 130 national nurses
- Founded in 1899 and was the first international organization for health care professionals.
- HQ-Geneva, Switzerland.
- President-Annette Kennedy
- CEO-Howard Catton
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें