ICMR, NCDC to initiate a population-based Sero-survey in selected districts
- Indian Council of Medical Research, ICMR and National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) will conduct a population-based sero-survey in selected districts in collaboration with key stakeholders and State Health Departments.
- The objective of this survey is to monitor the trend in prevalence of COVID-19 infection at district level.
ABOUT SERO SURVEY
Testing of blood serum of a group of individuals to determine the presence of antibody against that particular disease.
WHO ALL WILL BE COVERED UNDER THE SURVEY
- It would test outpatient attendees and pregnant women in the low-risk group.
- Health workers will be covered in the under the high risk group.
- It will not be used for diagnosis of individual patients.
PROCESS OF THE SURVEY
- Each month 200 samples per district per week shall be taken. This will take the number to 800 samples per district per month.
- ICMR AND NCDC will select 10 health facilities including six public and four private health from each district.
- The samples will be tested in a one-time pool of 25 and result of sample pooling is only for surveillance purposes.
- In addition to throat, nasal swabs, blood samples will be collected for detecting IgG antibodies for ELISA testing.
- In subsequent rounds, IgG ELISA based testing of serum samples will replace RT-PCR based testing for surveillance purpose.
- Data on demographic characteristics will be collected on a specifically designed standard data collection form.
- The data will be analyzed locally for action using standard indicator formats.
ABOUT IgG (Immunoglobulin G)
- Type of antibody and is the most common antibody in the human serum.
- Antibodies are proteins that are produced inside the human body response to disease causing pathogens.
- These are of five types- IgM, IgD,IgG, IgA, and IgE.
- ELISA stands for Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay.
- A commonly used analytical biochemistryassay and a diagnostic tool in various industries.
- Apex body in Indiafor the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research.
- HQ- New Delhi
- Secretary and Director General-Dr. Balram Bhargava
- Institute under the Indian Directorate General of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- HQ- New Delhi
- Has eight branches
- Director- Dr. Sujeet Kumar Singh
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें