Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ announced modifications in PMRF Scheme to boost research
- The HRD Ministry announced amendments in the Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF) scheme.
- It included reduction in the required GATE score and introduction of a lateral entry option to attract more students.
- Under the scheme, 1000 seats were created which have been remaining empty every year. These changes were made so that students can apply.
- The requirement of GATE Score is reduced to 650 from 750 apart from minimum CGPA of 8 or equivalent for the students from any recognised institute or university (other than IISc, IITs, NITs, IISERs, IIEST and IIITs).
- There will be two channels of entries, one direct entry and lateral entry.
- In lateral entry, the students, who are pursuing PhD in PMRF granting institutions (like IITs and NITs) can also apply to become fellow under the scheme as per new guidelines.
- The candidates will be selected through a rigorous selection process and their performance will be reviewed suitably through a national convention.
RESEARCH AND INNOVATION DIVISION
- The HRD Ministry has created a dedicated ‘Research and Innovation Division’ in order to boost research in academic institutions across the country.
- It will be headed by a director who will be coordinating research work of various institutions coming under the HRD Ministry.
INSTITUTES THAT CAN OFFER PMRF SCHEME
- These include all the IITs, the IISERs, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, some of the top central universities and NITs that offer science or technology degrees.
- NITs which appear in the top 25 institutions as per the NIRF rankings can become a PMRF granting institution.
- The scheme was announced in the Budget 2018-19.
- Designed for improving the quality of research in various higher educational institutions in the country.
- Students can apply under this scheme to pursue innovative research in Science and technology.
- They can either use the direct or lateral route.
ABOUT National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) rankings
- Method of Union HRD Ministry.
- Ranks institution of higher education in India.
- Union HRD Minister-Ramesh Pokhriyal
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें