Indian advisories for fisheries sector become part of FAO’s global guidelines
- FAO has included advisories prepared by ICAR-CIFT and ICAR-CIFRI in the Voluntary Guidelines for Securing Sustainable Small-Scale Fisheries under the Asia-Regional initiatives for the benefit of fisheries sector across the globe.
- These come as a huge recognition to India’s efforts.
- ICAR had released advisories to fisheries sector in 12 languages, which included 10 regional languages along with Hindi and English.
- These advisories were popularized through print & electronic media, circulated to State Fisheries Departments, developmental agencies, NGOs and SHGs, and also through social media
GUDILEINES ISSUED IN INDIA
- ICAR-CIFT, Kochi issued advisories for the benefit of the fishermen, fishing boat owners, fishing harbour, fish market and seafood processing plants.
- ICAR-Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute (ICAR-CIFRI), Barrackpore prepared advisories for the stakeholders involved in fishing activities in rivers, estuaries, reservoirs and wetlands.
IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON FISHERIES
- The disruption of fishing activities from open-water, and aquaculture in both freshwater and brackishwater systems, several associated activities like seed production, feed plant operation, supply and market chains, etc. have been greatly impacted.
- Fishermen, fish workers, processors and their communities have been facing the threat of the pandemic, which is affecting the entire value chain and the livelihoods depending on it.
ABOUT CIFT(Central Institute of Fisheries Technology)
- Subsidiary of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi, under the Ministry of Agriculture, India.
- Only institute where research facilities are available in all disciplines related to fishing and fish processing.
- Location – Matsyapuri, Kochi
- Director- Dr. C.N. Ravishankar
ABOUT CIFRI (Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute)
- Autonomous research institute dedicated to basic research in fishery science under the Indian Council of Agricultural Research of Government of India.
- Location-Barrackpore,Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Director- Dr. BK Das
ABOUT FAO (Food and Agriculture Oragnization)
- Specialized agency of the United Nations
- Director General-Qu Dongyu
- HQ– Rome, Italy
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें