Daily Current Affairs Updates : 5 August 2017. Welcome to the letsstudytogether.co online current affairs section.Here we are providing a set of Daily Current Affairs for upcoming Banking Exams and other competitive exams.
Daily Current Affairs Updates : 5 August 2017
[maxbutton id=”30″ ]
M Venkaiah Naidu is India’s Next Vice President
M Venkaiah Naidu, the ruling BJP-led National Democratic Alliance candidate, will be India’s 13th Vice President.
- NDA nominee and former Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu was elected as the 13th Vice-President of India on Saturday after securing over two-thirds of votes, leaving Opposition candidate Gopalkrishna Gandhi far behind.
- He received 516 votes defeating the opposition candidate former West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi who got 244 votes.
- Naidu said that coming from an agricultural background, he had never imagined he would reach this position. He said,”Coming from an agricultural background, I never imagined I would be here.
Aadhaar for free LPG: Govt relaxes deadline till Sept 30 for BPL women
The government has extended till September-end the time by which poor women wishing to avail of free cooking gas (LPG) connections must apply for the unique 12-digit biometric identification number Aadhaar.
- The government had in March this year mandated that anyone not having Aadhaar but desirous of availing free LPG connection under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana must apply for it by May 31.
- The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas yesterday issued a gazette notification extending that deadline to September 30.
Green Airports in Andhra Pradesh
The Government of India encourages development of Green airports. In order to develop airports in Andhra Pradesh as green airports, AAI has commenced installation of 1MWp solar power plant at Tirupathi and Vijaywada Airports.
- AAI has completed installation of solar power plants at 29 airports/locations with a total capacity of 12.84 MWp.
- The Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) became the first airport in the world, to be completely powered by solar energy.
Southeast Asian diplomats open talks in Manila
The Latest on annual meetings of Southeast Asian foreign ministers and their counterparts from the U.S., China, Russia, Japan, the two Koreas and other nations (all times local):
- Southeast Asia’s top diplomats have opened their annual meeting at a convention and theater complex by Manila Bay without the usual security overkill. Motorists were allowed through as joggers, cyclists and tennis players sweated under a cloudy sky.
- Topping the agenda are North Korea’s intercontinental ballistic missile tests, an attempt to temper South China Sea disputes and unease over a siege by pro-Islamic State group militants in the southern Philippine city of Marawi, which has dragged on for more than two months.
Kotak Bank’s new forex service
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has launched Kotak Remit — an Aadhaar-based integrated outward forex remittance solution for both customers and non-customers.
- The 24×7 forex remittance service offers a completely paperless process that enables users to register online using Aadhaar and PAN numbers, and initiate remittances instantly.
Akshay Kumar Roped in as Brand Ambassador for Swachh Bharat Mission in UP
Akshay Kumar was appointed the brand ambassador of ‘Clean UP mission’ by chief minister Yogi Adityanath on Friday.
- The national award winning actor promised to proactively work towards making UP the open defecation free (ODF) state, a cause in line with the theme of his upcoming movie Toilet Ek Prem Katha.
- The actor, along with his co-star Bhumi Pednekar, was in Lucknow for Hindustan’s ‘UP Mein Swacchata Ka Shanknaad’ event at Millennium School.
- The chief minister also released the film’s toilet anthem, ‘Karle Toilet Ka Jugar’, which has been sung by the actor himself.
Companies to disclose bank defaults within one day: SEBI
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has made it mandatory for companies to disclose any instance of a default on the payment of interest or repayment of principal to banks or financial institutions within a day of the default.
- In a circular issued on Friday, the capital market regulator said that while current regulations require listed companies to disclose delay or default in payment of interest/principal on debt securities, there is no such requirement when loans are taken from banks or financial institutions.
- Companies have also been directed to provide information pertaining to defaults to the concerned credit rating agencies in a timely manner.
Essar arm to build coal terminal at Beira Port
- Essar Ports has signed a 30-year concession agreement with the Government of Mozambique to develop a new coal terminal at Beira Port as part of a Public Private Partnership (PPP) project.
- The project will be executed through a subsidiary, New Coal Terminal Beira, SA (NCTB SA), which is a joint venture between Essar (which will own 70%) and Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique (CFM) (which will own 30%).
- “We would like to congratulate the Government of Mozambique for this initiative and for partnering with Essar on such a prestigious national-level project,” said Rajiv Agarwal, CEO and managing director, Essar Ports, commenting on the development.
- The NCTB has dedicated rail connectivity to Mozambique’s coal mining belt in the Tete region, which CFM has recently enhanced to a capacity of 20 MTPA. The first phase of this project will be developed at a cost of close to $275 million and will entail developing dedicated berths, along with state-of-the-art, mechanised and environment-friendly systems.
Donald Trump Administration Appoints Three Indian-Americans to Key Government Posts
- The Donald Trump administration has appointed three Indian-Americans to key posts in the government, confirmed the US Senate. The three Indian-Americans are Neil Chatterjee, Krishna R. Urs, and Vishal Amin. Neil Chatterjee was confirmed as a member of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
- He will help in shaping Trump administration’s energy policy that attracted criticism from the Democratic Party and environmentalists. Chatterjee will also deal with the controversial Keystone oil pipeline.
- On the other hand, Krishna Urs is appointed as a career diplomat with the US Senior Foreign Service. He has 30 years of experience and is currently serving as Charge d’Affaires of the US Embassy in Madrid and was previously the Deputy Chief of Mission in Spain.
- Vishal Amin currently serves as senior counsel for the US House Judiciary Committee. He previously worked at the George W. Bush administration as an Associate Director for Domestic Policy. Amin also served as special assistant and associate director for policy in the Department of Commerce.