World Thyroid Day 2020 – Date, Significance, History
- On May 25th the American Thyroid Association (ATA) in cooperation with the European Thyroid Association the Asia-Oceania Thyroid Association and the Latin American Thyroid Society, will make an extraordinary effort to do what we do year-round—focus attention on “the gland” that causes such widespread “dis-ease” throughout the globe.
- As India observes the World Thyroid Day on May 25 year after year, thyroid patients across the world need that extra care and attention in view of the Covid pandemic turning worse by the day.
- Let it not be forgotten that thyroid illnesses are not only on the rise but also affect an individual’s mood and body functions on a daily basis. Therefore, on World Thyroid Day 2020, it becomes necessary to understand the issues related to thyroid and what can be done to tackle it. In Leipzig, Germany in 2007, a decision was made to celebrate every 25th day of May as the World Thyroid Day.
- According to a study by Indian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, nearly 42 Million people in India suffer from thyroid related problems.
- The study authored by Ambika Gopalakrishnan Unnikrishnan and Usha V. Menon was commissioned by the US National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health.
- Thyroid disease refers to any and all dysfunctions that can occur in the thyroid gland. Therefore, it is important for every one to be aware of the issues related to the thyroid gland as it has a direct impact on one’s health. Note that there are five types of Thyroid disease, given as follows:
- Hypothyroidism – An underactive thyroid
- Hyperthyroidism – An overactive thyroid
- Goitre – An enlarged thyroid
- Thyroid Nodules – Obstructions in the thyroid gland
- Thyroid cancer – Harmful thyroid nodules or tissue
- Thyroiditis – Inflammation of the thyroid
- On the hospital’s official website, doctors at Max Hospital advocate dietary changes, anti-thyroid drugs and beta-blockers for hypothyroidism, lifestyle changes, and physical exercise and in extreme cases surgery to be done to remove the thyroid gland itself, although this is not used very frequently.
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें