World Oceans Day 2020 – Theme, History & Importance
- World Oceans Day is celebrated every year on June 8.
- Oceans form around 70 percent of the world’s surface and help in maintaining the earth’s temperature. They consist of 97% of the Earth’s total water.
- The Oceans day is observed to inform people of the impact of human actions and develop a worldwide movement of citizens for the ocean.
- The objective is to mobilize and unite the world’s population on a project for the sustainable management of the world’s oceans.
- Oceans serve as the world’s largest source of protein, with more than 3 billion people depending on the oceans as their primary source of protein according to the United Nations.
Theme of World Oceans day 2020
- The theme of World Oceans Day 2020 is “Innovation for a Sustainable Ocean.” The 2019 theme for World Oceans Day was “Gender and Oceans”.
History of World Oceans day 2020
- The United Nations General Assembly designated June 8 as World Oceans Day. The first World Oceans Day was declared in Rio de Janeiro at the Global Forum on June 8, 1992.
- According to a study by World Oceans Day, these are the most found items on beach-cigarette butts, food wrappers, plastic bottles, bottle caps, plastic straws, and plastic bags.
Importance of World Oceans day 2020
- According to the National Ocean Service, “the oceans produce over half of the world’s oxygen and stores 50 times more Carbon dioxide than the atmosphere.
- Many medicinal products including ingredients that help fight cancer, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, and heart disease are gained from Oceans”. Therefore, it is a day to celebrate together the beauty, the wealth and the promise of the ocean.
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें