World Metrology Day 2020 – Date, Significance of the Day
- The theme for World Metrology Day 2020 is Measurements for global trade.
- This theme was chosen to create awareness of the important role measurement plays in facilitating fair global trade, ensuring products meet standards and regulations, and satisfying customer quality expectations.
- Indeed more widely metrology, the science of measurement, plays a central role in scientific discovery and innovation, industrial manufacturing and international trade, in improving the quality of life and in protecting the global environment.
- World Metrology Day is an annual celebration of the signature of the Metre Convention on 20 May 1875 by representatives of seventeen nations.
- The Convention set the framework for global collaboration in the science of measurement and in its industrial, commercial and societal applications.
- The original aim of the Metre Convention – the world-wide uniformity of measurement – remains as important today as it was in 1875.
- The World Metrology Day project is realized jointly by the BIPM and the OIML.
- The International Bureau of Weights and Measures is an intergovernmental organisation that was established by the Metre Convention, through which member states act together on matters related to measurement science and measurement standards.
- Foundation – 20 May 1875
- Membership – 61 Countries
- Director– Martin Milton
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें