World Menstrual Hygiene Day 2020 – Date, Theme, Significance
- World Menstrual Hygiene Day is observed on May 28. The main idea behind marking this day is to change the social stigma associated with menstruation.
- The date May 28 was chosen to observe the day because on an average the menstrual cycle for most women is 28 days and the menstruation period for most women is for five days. Hence, the date was kept as 28/5.
- World Menstrual Hygiene Day 2020 theme is ‘Periods in Pandemic’. The idea behind choosing this theme is to highlight how the challenges faced by women during menstruation have worsened due to the ongoing pandemic.
- UNICEF said, “Periods don’t stop for pandemics – it’s every girl’s right to manage her period safely and with dignity.
- To create social awareness about maintaining menstrual hygiene, especially in the time of pandemic, the WASH United, a German non-profit advocacy and education group launched Menstrual Hygiene Day and kept the theme ‘Periods in Pandemics’ this year.
- The theme is self-explanatory and focuses upon raising awareness about taking care of menstrual hygiene during a pandemic which affects a woman both physically and mentally. The time of any pandemic,like the ongoing COVID-19 is stressful, which directly affects the menstrual cycle of a woman. It gets even more important to maintain the hygiene level in these tough times and also help others who are dealing with periods related issues.
- Under the theme this year, the organisation highlights the importance of helping women financially by distributing sanitary napkins and other products to maintain menstrual hygiene.
- With schools and community centres being shut, girls no more have access to the free supply of the sanitary napkins.
- On Menstrual Hygiene Day, people are urged to extend a helping hand towards underprivileged women and help them with critical information about maintaining menstrual hygiene and also helping them with sanitary kits.
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें