World Cancer Day 2018
World Cancer Day 2018. A truly global event taking place every year on 4 February, World Cancer Day unites the world’s population in the fight against cancer. People across the globe will be celebrating World Cancer Day in order to raise awareness of the millions of people worldwide who face unequal access to cancer detection, treatment, and care services. This disease has recently been recognized by The World Health Organization (WHO) as the leading cause of global morbidity.
It aims to save millions of preventable deaths each year by raising awareness and education about the disease, pressing governments and individuals across the world to take action.
Why World Cancer Day is important
- Currently, 8.8 million people die from cancer worldwide every year, out of which, 4 million people die prematurely (aged 30 to 69 years)
- World Cancer Day is the ideal opportunity to spread the word and raise the profile of cancer in people’s minds and in the world’s media
World Cancer Day Theme 2018
Taking place under the tagline ‘We can. I can.’, World Cancer Day 2018 will explore how everyone – as a collective or as individuals – can do their part to reduce the global burden of cancer.
Just as cancer affects everyone in different ways, all people have the power to take various actions to reduce the impact that cancer has on individuals, families, and communities.
World Cancer Day is a chance to reflect on what you can do, make a pledge and take action. Whatever you choose to do ‘We can. I can.’ make a difference to the fight against cancer.
World Cancer Day Theme (2007-2017)
It is celebrated every year using a particular theme; some of the year-wise themes are listed below:-
- 2007 – “Today’s children, tomorrow’s world”.
- 2008 – “give children and young people a smoke-free environment “.
- 2009 – “I love my healthy active childhood”.
- 2010 – “Vaccinating to prevent virus-related liver cancers “.
- 2011 – “Teaching Children and Teenagers to limit their sun exposure by being SunSmart!”.
- 2012 – “Together it is possible”.
- 2013 – “Cancer – Did you know?”.
- 2014 – “Debunk the Myths”.
- 2015 – “Not beyond us”.
- 2016, 2017 and 2018 is “We can. I can.”
About World Cancer Day
World Cancer Day is the one singular initiative under which the entire world can unite together in the fight against the global cancer epidemic. It takes place every year on 4 February.
WCD aims to save millions of preventable deaths each year by raising awareness and education about cancer, and pressing governments and individuals across the world to take action against the disease.
World Cancer Day celebration was planned in the Geneva, Switzerland in 1933 under the direction of UICC (Union for International Cancer Control) and with the support various other well-known cancer societies, research institutes, treatment centers and patient groups. The World Cancer Day event was founded to fulfill all the needs to fight and control this deadly disease.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.