Urdu Poet Anand Mohan Zutshi Gulzar Dehlvi Passes Away Aged 93
- Prominent Urdu poet Anand Mohan Zutshi Gulzar Dehlvi (93) died of a heart attack at his residence in Noida on Friday, less than a week after recovering from coronavirus.
- On Friday afternoon Dehlvi suffered a massive heart attack, less than a month shy of his 94th birthday. He is survived by a son and a daughter. The last rites will be performed on Saturday, according to a statement from the family.
- On June 7, Gautam Buddha Nagar District Magistrate Suhas L.Y. had tweeted Dehlvi’s photo with the caption: “This 94-year-old resident turned Covid negative and was discharged today. He is an inspiration to many like me. Sir, you motivate us to work even harder, we all residents wish you a very long and healthy life.”
- An ardent lover of the Urdu language, Dehlvi has been a part of a number of mushairas including Jashn-e-Rekhta in 2015 and Jigar Fest in 218. He has also played a huge role in establishing many Urd schools across India. He was known to be a follower of India’s ganga-jamani tehzeeb (a term used to define a syncretic Hindu-Muslim culture) and always stood for secularism.
- Dehlvi said, “I am a post-holder in the oldest Ramlila committee of Delhi, and of the Hazrat Nizamuddin dargah. I observe Holi, Diwali, Janmashtami, Shivratri, and all three Eids. This is what India is, and this is the only way it can survive. Giving in to communal rhetoric will end up fragmenting India, just as the British had once fragmented it.”
- Urdu poet Moin Shadab said, “He came back home after successfully fighting Covid-19, but he was suffering from heart ailments. With his demise, Urdu poetry has lost a gem.
- Another Urdu poet, Alimuddin Asad said, “I have been associated with him for a long time. He was a pillar of Urdu poetry and ambassador of communal harmony.”
- Originally a Kashmiri Pandit, Dehlvi was born in old Delhi in 1926. He had served as the editor of ‘Science ki Duniya’, the first Urdu science magazine published by the Government of India in 1975. He is also credited for setting up several Urdu schools across the country.
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें