SBI Clerk 2018 | Preparation Strategy for English Language
The SBI Clerk exam will tentatively be held in the month of June/ July 2018. Many candidates find preparing for the English language section difficult. And it’s only valid! Unlike numerical ability or reasoning ability, English does not have a fixed syllabus.
To help you structure your preparation for this otherwise vast subject, here we bring to you a detailed preparation strategy for the same. This strategy is brought to you by Oliveboard, an online exam preparation platform for government and banking exams.
Let us first take a look at the detailed syllabus for the English language in SBI Clerk 2018 prelims.
SBI Clerk 2018 Syllabus for the English Language
- Vocabulary – Antonyms and Synonyms
- Sentence Completion
- Basic English Grammar
- Tenses, Articles, Prepositions, Subject-Verb Agreement, Parts of Speech etc.
- Reading Comprehension
- Error Spotting
- Cloze Test
- Sentence Rearrangement
- Para Jumbles
- Phrases and Idioms
- Fill in the Blanks
SBI Clerk prelims will have sectional time limits for each section. Thus, it’s important to understand that it’s imperative to make good use of the 20 minutes that you will be spending on this section to achieve a good score. In the following section, we will be discussing the preparation strategy for the English language section.
SBI Clerk 2018 Preparation Strategy for the English Language
- Grammar forms the basis of important question types such as sentence re-arrangement, idioms & phrases, error spotting, sentence correction etc. So, build on your grammar by referring to helpful books such as Wren & Martin. You can also refer to custom-made e-books such as 100 important idioms. These help you with your preparation as they cover exactly what is covered in the exam.
- Use the following tips as a guide to prepare for or to attempt RC questions. A good reading speed gives you an edge to score well in the exam, so make sure while preparing for RC you also work on your reading speed.
- Strictly stick to what is given in the passage and assume NOTHING else; even if it is true in day today situations. Do NOT make any assumptions whatsoever.
- It is essential to balance speed and accuracy to score well in any competitive exam. The best way in which you can gauge this is via practicing multiple mock tests. Mock tests not only condition you for the real time exam but also help you analyze your areas of strength and weaknesses.
- RC passages can range from a variety of topics such as: Philosophy, Psychology, Economics, Politics or even Science. We never know what might come our way. Hence, it is important that we establish a level of comfort with all such genres by reading from multiple sources. Newspapers, especially the editorials and the weekend specials are a good place to start.
- A major problem that all candidates face while solving RC questions is that they get confused between 2 options. This happens because we read to understand only what the statements say; whereas the RC questions demands our understanding of the writer’s/author’s perspective as well (this is known as reading between the lines).
- Just as for grammar, vocabulary is tested both directly and indirectly in the exam. There might be difficult words in the passage that may make it difficult for you to understand what is being talked about (indirect testing of vocabulary). There may be direct questions on synonyms, antonyms. Hence, reading from a variety of sources is a must. Make sure you add at least 10 new words every day.
Remember the mantra for successful preparation strategy:
Build Concepts –> Practice Daily –> Revise Weekly –> Give 1 mock test / week –> Spend time on analysis –> Strengthen your strengths and improve on your weakness –> REPEAT
Hope this helps. All the best!
You may also download 200+ Important Puzzle & Seating Arrangement PDF – Click Here
SBI Clerk Preparation | Related Links
|SBI Clerk Previous Year Question Papers Download Now||Click Here|
|How to Crack SBI Clerk 2018 | Read Preparation Tips & Tricks and Strategy||Click Here|
|45 Days Study Plan for SBI Clerk Prelims 2018||Click Here|
SBI Clerk 2018 Exam FAQs – Everything you need to know!
|How to Solve Number Series Questions? Tips & Tricks||Click Here|
|How to Solve Quadratic Equation? Tips & Tricks||Click Here|
|How to Solve Simplification & Approximation Questions? Tips & Tricks||Click Here|
|How to Solve Simple Interest Questions? Tips & Tricks||Click Here|
|Tips & Tricks to solve Reasoning Questions in SBI Clerk 2018||Click Here|
|SBI Clerk Official Notification||Click Here|
|SBI Clerk Previous Year Cut off Marks||Click Here|
|SBI Clerk Previous Year Exam Analysis||Click Here|