RIL raises Rs 4,546.80 Cr from Silver Lake for 0.93% Additional Stake in Jio Platforms
- Private equity firm Silver Lake has invested an additional Rs 4,546.80 crore in Reliance Industries’ digital arm Jio Platforms to raise its stake in the firm to 2.08%.
- With this, Mukesh Ambani has seen a total of seven cheques come in for the telecommunications arm of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) in just over six weeks. Reliance Industries in a statement said with this, aggregate investment by Silver Lake in Jio Platforms will now be at Rs 10,202.55 crore. Prior to this the private equity firm, Silver Lake had on May 4 invested Rs 5,655.75 crore in Jio Platforms for a 1.15 per cent stake.
- The investment by Silver Lake was the second investment that RIL announced in one day with the first one coming in from Abu Dhabi-based sovereign investor Mubadala for a little over Rs 9,093 crore, picking up 1.85% equity stake.
- Now, the total amount raised by Jio Platforms, excluding the recently concluded rights issue, stands at Rs 92,201 crore. Commenting on the investment, Egon Durban, Silver Lake Co-CEO and Managing Partner, said, “We are excited to increase our exposure and bring more of our co-investors into this opportunity, further supporting Jio Platforms in its mission to bring the power of high-quality and affordable digital services to a mass consumer and small businesses population.”
- Silver Lake’s new investment values Reliance Jio Platforms at an enterprise value of Rs 5.16 lakh crore, the company said in a filing. Other recent investments into Jio Platforms were made at the same valuation. Jio Platforms is Reliance Industries group’s digital services entity which comprises its telecom business Jio Infocomm, music and video streaming apps, and other content services.
- Other investments into Jio Platforms have come in from leading global technology and growth investors including Facebook, Silver Lake, Vista Equity Partners, General Atlantic, KKR and Mubadala in six weeks. KKR has announced an investment worth Rs 11,367 crore in Jio Platforms for a 2.32% equity stake; while General Atlantic announced a deal worth Rs 6,98.38 crore for 1.34% stake. Vista Equity Partners said it would invest Rs 11,367 crore for 2.32% stake; Silver Lake announced Rs 5,655.75 crore investment for a 1.15% stake. The biggest investment so far has come from Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook, investing Rs 43,574 crore in Jio Platforms for a 9.99% stake.
Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited, Jio, is an Indian telecommunications company and subsidiary of Jio Platforms.It operates a national LTE network with coverage across all 22 telecom circles. It does not offer 2G or 3G service, and instead uses only voice over LTE to provide voice service on its 4G network.
- Formation – 15 February 2007
- Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Founder and Chairman- Mukesh Ambani
- Managing Director- Sandip Das
About Sliver Lake Partners–
Silver Lake is an American multinational private equity firm focused on large scale investments in technology, technology-enabled and related industries. Founded in 1999, the firm is one of the largest technology investors in the world.
- Formation – 1999
- Headquarters – California, USA
- Co-CEO and Managing Partner– Egon Durban
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें