Rajnath Singh attends 75th Victory Day Parade in Moscow’s Red Square
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh is on a three-day trip to Russia to attend the 75th Victory Day. India has sent a tri-services contingent to participate in the Victory Day Parade. China’s Defence Minister and troops will also be present
- Victory Day marks the end of World War II and the victory of the Allied Forces in 1945. Adolf Hitler had shot himself on April 30. On May 7, German troops surrendered, which was formally accepted the next day, and came into effect on May 9.
- In most European countries, it is celebrated on May 8, and is called the Victory in Europe Day.
- “During the visit, the Defence Minister will take up the issue of urgent supply of equipment and spares needed for the Russian-origin fighter aircraft including the Su-30MKIs and MiG-29s of the Air Force and the MiG29Ks of the Indian Navy, the T-90 battle ranks for the Army and the Kilo-class submarines of the Navy along with other warships,” government sources.
- Officials said Mr. Singh went ahead with the visit, notwithstanding the border row with China, due to India’s decades-old military ties with Russia.
- They said the defence minister is likely to hold a series of meetings with top military brass of Russia with a focus on further ramping up military cooperation between the two countries.
- A tri-service 75-member Indian military contingent has already reached Moscow to participate in the parade. The Indian team will participate in the parade alongside armed forces personnel from at least 11 countries, including China.
- “The visit of the defence minister will strengthen the longstanding special and privileged strategic partnership between India and Russia,” the defence ministry said on Saturday.
- “The Indian participation in the Victory Day parade will be a mark of tribute to the great sacrifices made by Russia and other nations in the Second World War in which Indian soldiers also participated and made supreme sacrifice,” it said.
Russia, or the Russian Federation, is a transcontinental country located in Eastern Europe and Northern Asia.Covering an area of 17,125,200 square kilometres (6,612,100 sq mi),it is the largest country in the world by area, spanning more than one-eighth of the Earth’s inhabited land area.
- Capital – Moscow
- Currency – Russian Ruble
- President– Vladimir Putin
- Prime Minister – Mikhail Mishustin
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें