Prime Minister announces Rs 1,500 crore relief for Amphan-hit Bengal, Odisha
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced Rs 1,500 crore for the relief and rehabilitation of people affected by Cyclone Amphan in West Bengal and Odisha, and assured the states of more support after conducting separate aerial surveys with chief ministers Mamata Banerjee and Naveen Patnaik.
- We are announcing the release of an advance assistance fund of Rs 1,000 crore,” Modi said in Hindi after a review meeting in Basirhat in North 24 Parganas. Later, he announced immediate assistance of Rs 500 crore for Odisha.
- Cyclone Amphan, the most severe storm in the Bay of Bengal since the super cyclone of 1999, has left a trail of destruction and damage in the two states.
- It made landfall around 20 kms east of Sagar Island in the Sunderbans on Wednesday afternoon, packing winds gusting to a top speed of 185 kilometres per hour, cutting off road links, snapping telecommunications, leaving parts of West Bengal without electricity, and inundating coastal hamlets.
- It killed about 80 people in West Bengal and at least two in Odisha.
- At the review meeting with Banerjee in Basirhat after the survey, Modi declared that Rs 2 lakh each will be given to families of the deceased from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund. Those injured will get Rs 50,000 each.
- Banerjee said her state suffered losses of more than Rs 1 lakh crore due to the storm that has left tens of thousands homeless. “Most of the areas we surveyed were totally ravaged.
- The air force said it modified aircraft/helicopters for relief operations and is on standby. It said its crisis management cell is coordinating with the civil administration and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams on the ground.
About West Bengal-
- West Bengal is a state in eastern India, between the Himalayas and the Bay of Bengal. Its capital, Kolkata (formerly Calcutta), retains architectural and cultural remnants of its past as an East India Company trading post and capital of the British Raj.
- Established– 26 January 1950
- Capital – Kolkata
- Chief Minister – Mamata Banerjee(AITC)
- Governor – Jagdeep Dhankhar
- Chief Justice – Thottathil B. Radhakrishnan
- Odisha (formerly Orissa), an eastern Indian state on the Bay of Bengal, is known for its tribal cultures and its many ancient Hindu temples. The capital, Bhubaneswar, is home to hundreds of temples, notably the intricately-carved Mukteshvara.
- Established– 1 April 1936
- Capital – Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister – Naveen Patnaik(BJD)
- Governor – Ganeshi Lal
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is an Indian specialised force constituted “for the purpose of specialist response to a threatening disaster situation or disaster” under the Disaster Management Act, 2005.
- The “Apex Body for Disaster Management” in India is the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA).
- Formation – 2006
- Minister – Amit Shah
- Director General – SN Pradhan, IPS
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें