One crore treatments provided under Ayushman Bharat – PMJAY
- Ayushman Bharat, Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, the flagship health assurance scheme of the Government of India today marked one crore treatments.
- To mark the milestone, Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan, inaugurated the first edition of Arogya Dhara, a series of webinars created as an open platform for discussion on topical issues of public health in New Delhi today.
- The webinar was titled “Ayushman Bharat: 1 crore treatments and beyond”.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan said, providing one crore treatments to patients from the country’s poorest households since its launch less than two years ago is a milestone achievement for Ayushman Bharat PMJAY scheme.
- These treatments worth 13 thousand 412 crore rupees have been provided through a growing network of 21 thousand 565 public and private empanelled hospitals.
- The Union Health Minister said, Ayushman Bharat will continue be a trailblazer with an all-encompassing humanitarian approach.
- The aim of the scheme is to ensure financial risk protection to more than 10.74 crore poorest, most vulnerable families in the country and is a step forward towards achievement of Universal Health Coverage in India.
- The Minister conveyed his best wishes and gratitude to all the States who have ensured the scheme delivers on its promise especially in the unprecedented times of COVID-19.
- Centre is making persistent efforts to expand testing and make treatment of COVID-19 available for free to all 53 crore beneficiaries of Ayushman Bharat PMJAY, further strengthening Government of India’s resolve, scope and capability to move towards universal health coverage.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan launched a ‘Ask Ayushman’ chat bot on WhatsApp, a 24*7 AI-enabled assistant that provides information on various aspects of the AB-PMJAY scheme.
- He also launched a “Hospital Ranking Dashboard” which is a significant step to rank empanelled hospitals on the basis of beneficiaries’ feedback.
- The Minister also released a “Special edition of the AB-PMJAY beneficiary e-card” exhibiting the milestone of 1 crore hospital admissions.
- Minister of State for Health Ashwani Kumar Chaubey, Member (Health) NITI Aayog Dr V K Paul and CEO of NHA Dr Indu Bhushan addressed the webinar.
- The second component under Ayushman Bharat is the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojna or PM-JAY as it is popularly known. This scheme was launched on 23rd September, 2018 in Ranchi, Jharkhand by the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi.
- Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY is the largest health assurance scheme in the world which aims at providing a health cover of Rs. 5 lakhs per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization to over 10.74 crores poor and vulnerable families (approximately 50 crore beneficiaries) that form the bottom 40% of the Indian population.