National Doctors Day 2020 – History, Theme, Significance
- Every year on July 1, the country celebrates National Doctor’s Day which is celebrated in order to express our gratitude to the medical staff for their dedicated service. However, in the year 2020, the day holds a special significance considering the fact how our doctors and physicians are working day and night during the COVID-19 pandemic. Fighting the risk of infection by wearing PPE kits and serving the patients is what our doctors have been doing from the past few months and therefore it becomes important for all of us to thank them for their selfless service.
- For those unversed, July 1 marks the birth, as well as the death anniversary of one of the most renowned physicians in India, Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy. He was also the second chief minister of West Bengal.
- He received the country’s highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna, on February 4, 1961, and therefore the day is celebrated to honour the personality. In India, it is celebrated on July 1 while in other countries there are different dates set for the purpose.
- The United States observes the day on the March 30, while in Iran and Cuba, the day is celebrated on August 23 and December 3 respectively.
- The Indian Medical Association (IMA) organises this day in India. Every member of IMA and the local branch take a lead in the local area and bring about a change in the current situation (Covid-19 pandemic), said the IMA.
- The Doctor’s Day theme this year’s stands, “Lessen the mortality of COVID 19”. It includes awareness about asymptomatic hypoxia and early aggressive therapy.
About Indian Medical Association–
The Indian Medical Association is a national voluntary organisation of Doctors of Modern Scientific System of Medicine in India, which look or care after the interest of doctors or the well being of the community at large.
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- National President– Rajan Sharma
- Honorary Secretary General– R.V. Asokan
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें