Madhya Pradesh Became Largest Wheat-Procuring State in Country
- Madhya Pradesh is set to pump in around Rs 25,000 crore into its rural economy by the time its all-time high wheat procurement draws to a close. This has made the state the country’s largest wheat purchaser in 2020-21.
- The state procured around 12.77 million tonnes of wheat, which is expected to reach 13 million tonnes by the time the process ends in the next few weeks. Punjab has closed its procurement for this year at 12.76 million tonnes.
- However, due to the massive procurement, the state government is facing some challenges on the storage front. Till Sunday, around 7.5 per cent of the procured wheat was in the process of being shifted to safe destinations.
- However, government officials are confident that by time the purchases end in the next few weeks, all the wheat will be safely stored.
- This year, Madhya Pradesh produced around 30 million tonnes of wheat.
- “Normally, it takes around 15 days from the closure of procurement to bag and store wheat in godowns, but this year, we have maintained 85-90 per cent efficiency in transportation right from the first day of procurement. Since procurement is going on, it will take another 7-10 days for the entire stock to be stored safely,” the state’s principal secretary, food and civil supplies, Sheo Shekhar Shukla.
- He said there is no crisis of storage, despite such high levels of procurement as more than 2,000 godowns and other facilities are available with the state.
About Madhya Pradesh-
Madhya Pradesh, a large state in central India, retains landmarks from eras throughout Indian history. Begun in the 10th century, its Hindu and Jain temples at Khajuraho are renowned for their carvings of erotic scenes, most prominently Kandariya Mahadeva, a temple with more than 800 sculptures. The eastern Bandhavgarh and Kanha national parks, noted Bengal tiger sanctuaries, offer guided safaris.
- Chief Minister – Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Governor – Lalji Tandon
- Principle Secretary of State(MP)-Sheo Shekhar Shukla
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें