Liverpool Win 2020 Premier League To End 30-Year Title Drought
- Liverpool have become Premier League champions for the first time, ending a three-decade wait to win the English top flight again.
- The Reds’ 19th league title was secured on Thursday when Chelsea’s 2-1 victory over Manchester City at Stamford Bridge meant Pep Guardiola’s side could no longer mathematically catch Jurgen Klopp’s men.
- The destination of the 2019-20 Premier League title has been a foregone conclusion for some time, though, with Liverpool having taken a remarkable 86 points from their first 31 games.
- Klopp’s side pushed City all the way last season but, despite claiming 97 points on that occasion, they finished behind a City side that won back-to-back titles.
- This time around it has been the club from Merseyside who have set a relentless pace.
- Liverpool dropped just two points from their opening 27 games and did not taste defeat in the Premier League until the final day of February when beaten 3-0 by Watford at Vicarage Road.
- At that point their lead over City was already 22 points and only the coronavirus-enforced break has delayed their confirmation as champions for the first time since 1989-90.
- That title triumph was Liverpool’s 18th league championship, a record haul that has since been eclipsed by Manchester United following their glorious run under Alex Ferguson.
- However, Klopp’s arrival from Borussia Dortmund to replace Brendan Rodgers in 2015 turned Liverpool into a force once more – at first on the continent, and now domestically.
- Liverpool beat Tottenham in the Champions League final 12 months ago, a year after being beaten at the same stage by Real Madrid in Kiev, to win Europe’s premier club competition for a sixth time.
- But it was the top domestic prize for which their fans had yearned for so long, and Klopp’s men of 2019-20 have now ended that long wait, and with seven games to spare.
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें