JPMorgan’s Kalpana Morparia set to retire, Leo Puri to take over
- Kalpana Morparia (pictured), chairman of JP Morgan South Asia and South East Asia, plans to hang up her boots by early next year. Leo Puri, former chief executive officer (CEO) of UTI Mutual Fund, will replace her.
- The global banking major said in a statement Morparia, 72, had expressed her desire to retire, but agreed to stay until Q1 2021.She would oversee the smooth transition of her India, and South and South East Asia responsibilities.
- Murali Maiya will become the new CEO for South and South East Asia, and will report to Filippo Gori, CEO, Asia-Pacific. Madhav Kalyan, CEO of JPMorgan Chase, India, will become senior country officer for India from Q1 2021.
- Morparia, a lawyer from the Government Law College, Mumbai, spent her first 33 years of career in Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India (ICICI), which merged into ICICI Bank, and was identified by the bank’s former MD and CEO to take over the treasury operations in 1996. “Since then, she never looked back and was among (K V) Kamath’s A-team and was leading from the front till her retirement,”
- One of Morparia’s key tasks at ICICI was to draft the legal framework for the JP Morgan-ICICI Bank joint venture in 1991, which fell apart five years later.”
- The current CEO of JP Morgan, Jamie Dimon, and Morparia shared a good rapport and once Morparia retired from ICICI Bank in 2008, JP Morgan was waiting with an offer for her to head the investment bank in India.
- One of the first tasks at the international bank for Morparia was to customise as many of its global products as possible for the Indian corporate sector that was raring to go global.
- JPMorgan Chase & Co. is an American multinational investment bank and financial services holding company headquartered in New York City. JPMorgan Chase is ranked by S&P Global as the largest bank in the United States and the sixth largest bank in the world by total assets, with total assets of US$2.687 trillion.
- Founded – 1 December 2000
- Headquarters– New York, US
- Founders– Aaron Burr (Bank of the Manhattan Company) John Pierpont Morgan
- Chairman & CEO– Jamie Dimon
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें