India’s crude steel output slips 65% to 3.13 MT in April 2020 – World Steel report
- India’s crude steel output declined over 65 per cent to 3.13 million tonnes (MT) during April, according to the World Steel Association.
- The government imposed a nationwide lockdown on March 25 to prevent the spread of the coronavirus pandemic which has impacted production, demand and supply of steel in India.
- The country had produced 9.02 MT of crude steel during the same month a year ago, the World Steel Association (worldsteel) said in a report.
- India had posted a 14 per cent decline in steel output at 8.65 MT in March as compared with 10.04 MT in March 2019.
- Global steel output also declined 13 per cent to 137.09 MT as compared with 157.67 MT in April 2019.
- “Due to the ongoing difficulties presented by the Covid-19 pandemic, many of this month’s (April) figures are estimates that may be revised with next month’s production update,” the global industry body said.
- China, which had for the first time in many months reported a 1.7 per cent fall in its output in March at 78.97 MT, has started showing growth in production, the data showed.
- The country, which has a sizeable share in global output, produced 85.03 MT steel in April, a marginal rise of 0.2 per cent as compared with 84.87 MT in the corresponding month of 2019.
- US produced 4.96 MT of crude steel in April, 32 per cent lower than 7.35 MT in the year-ago month.
- Japan registered a 23 per cent fall in crude steel production at 6.61 MT in April 2020 as against 8.64 MT in April 2019.
- South Korea produced 5.50 MT crude steel, down 8.4 per cent from 6 MT in April 2019.
- In the EU, worldsteel said, Germany estimated 3 MT of crude steel production in April 2020, down 10.7 per cent from April 2019. Italy’s production was down by 30.7 per cent at 1.35 MT.
- France estimated 0.80 MT of crude steel production in April 2020, a 37.9 per cent decrease compared to April 2019.
- Spain produced 0.67 MT of crude steel in April 2020, down 48 per cent from April 2019.
- Russia estimated 4.70 MT of crude steel production in April 2020, Ukraine produced 1.33 MT, while Brazil produced 1.81 MT.
About World Steel Association-
- World Steel Association, often abbreviated as worldsteel, is the international trade body for the iron and steel industry. The association is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country.
- Founded – 10 July 1967
- Headquarters–Brussels, Belgium
- Director General– Dr Edwin Basson
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें