India to host Asian Football Confederation Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Finals
- The Asian Football Confederation has awarded the hosting rights of the 2022 Women’s Asian Cup to India for the first time since 1979.
- The decision was taken at the AFC Women’s Football Committee meeting. In February, the AFC Women’s Football Committee had recommended India to be hosts.
- In a letter to the All India Football Federation, Dato Windsor John, General Secretary, AFC wrote: “The Committee awarded the hosting rights of the AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022 Finals to the All India Football Federation.”
- The tournament will likely be held in the second half of the year. In the 1979 edition, India had finished as runners-up.
- “The tournament will galvanise the aspiring women players and bring in a holistic social revolution as far as women’s football in the country is concerned,” he added.
- The tournament will feature 12 teams, expanded from the previous slot of eight teams.
- India qualify directly as hosts. The event will also serve as the final qualification tournament for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
- The tournament comes as the latest boost to AIFF as India are slated to host the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup next year.
- India had also hosted the AFC U-16 Championships in 2016 and the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2017.
- “The tournament will play a huge role in further popularising women’s football in India. The Women’s Asian Cup 2022 comes on the back of the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2020, and will help us sustain, and build on the momentum gained,” AIFF General Secretary, Kushal Das said.
The Asian Football Confederation is one of the six continental confederations within FIFA and is the governing body of association football in Asia and Australia.
- Founded – 08 May 1954
- Headquarters– Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Motto– One Asia One Goal
- President– Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa
The All India Football Federation, simply known as the AIFF, is the governing body of association football in India. Formed in 1937, the federation was one of founding members of the Asian Football Confederation, the overseer of football in Asia.
- Formation – 23 June 1937
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- President– Praful Patel
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें