India Joins ‘Alliance For Poverty Eradication’ at UN as Founding Member
- United Nations, India has become a founding member of an Alliance for Poverty Eradication at the UN, launched by the President of the General Assembly, aimed at focussing on efforts to boost global economy in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic. President of 74th Session of the UN General Assembly Tijjani Muhammad-Bande will formally launch the ‘Alliance for Poverty Eradication’ on June 30, which he said will serve as a forum for Member States to raise awareness about danger that poverty poses to world peace, human rights and sustainable development. He will also galvanise Member States, the international community and other stakeholders to support actions geared towards poverty eradication.
- India has joined the alliance as a founding member and stressed that ending poverty is not just about monetary compensation but guaranteeing access of poor to quality education, healthcare, clean water, sanitation, decent housing and social security. “There are people in the world so hungry that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread. Global inequality is deeply entrenched.
- It’s shocking to note that just a little over 2000 billionaires have more wealth than 60 per cent of the planet’s wealth,” India’s Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Nagaraj Naidu said. Speaking at the informal meeting of the President of the General Assembly and members of the Alliance on Tuesday, Naidu said, COVID-19 has added a new dimension to poverty, stressing that “poverty is like punishment for a crime that one did not commit.”
- He stressed that the Alliance for Poverty Eradication should contribute to the policy discourse that seeks to analyse poverty from the perspective of multiple deprivations. “For instance, people experience poverty differently even within the same household. While data is limited, there is evidence that women and children are disproportionately affected by poverty. Hence, gender mainstreaming is vital for policy design and implementation,” he said.
About United Nations–
The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization that aims to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation, and be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations.
- Founded – 24th October 1945
- Headquarters –New York, United States
- Secretary-General: Antonio Guterres
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें