How to Prepare English For SBI Clerk 2019
How to Prepare English for SBI Clerk Prelims 2019. English Language is a crucial section for SBI Clerk as well as all other bank exams. Even if you are not good in English, a proper preparation strategy can help you get through the sectional cutoff in this section. A huge number of candidates often stress over English Language Preparation, be it any bank exam including SBI Clerk. So today, we are sharing English Language Preparation Strategy for SBI Clerk Prelims 2019 , to help you all prepare for this section in a better way and perform well at the SBI Clerk Exam.
Among all the three sections of Prelims Exam Syllabus, English Section scares candidates the most. In recent exams, English Section has gone through maximum changes in terms of question type. The main motive of English Section is to test a candidate’s English language skills and proficiency. In order to be successful in English section, you need to focus on two important aspects during the SBI clerk Prelims exam:
1. Accuracy– Always try to attempt the questions with 100% accuracy. As you know negative marking system exists in SBI clerk exam, that’s why you must ensure that you answer each question correctly. Attempting questions with accuracy will increase chances of scoring high and help you to score well in this section.
2. Speed– There is a sectional time limit of 20 Minutes in each section. 20 Minutes are enough to go through each and every question of English Section if you maintain your speed.
First and foremost, it is imperative that you have a clear understanding of the SBI Clerk exam pattern. SBI Clerk Prelims exam would consist of 100 questions with a total duration of 1 hour (60 minutes – 20 min. each section). It would comprise of the following –
- English Language – 30 Questions ( 20 Min)
- Reasoning Ability – 35 Questions ( 20 Min)
- Quantitative Aptitude – 35 Questions ( 20 Min)
All the questions would carry 1 mark. There is also a penalty of 0.25 marks for every incorrect answer. So it’s crucial that you attempt questions with utmost accuracy since you cannot afford to lose marks for the questions that you have answered correctly. You can see the SBI Clerk previous year question paper for a better idea.
Topic-wise English Preparation for SBI Clerk
- If you are weak or average in English Language Section than always aim then don’t try to attempt all the questions in the exam. It is wise to attempt 20 – 22 questions in this section.
- You can start with those topics in which you have good command and which seems easy in the exam. For example – Fill in the blanks, Cloze Test, Sentence Improvement, Spotting Error and Para jumbles.
English Preparation Strategy for SBI Clerk 2019
Expected topics and question which can be asked in upcoming SBI Clerk Exam 2019-
- Reading Comprehension – 10 Questions
- Cloze test – 5 Questions
- Parajumbles – 5 Questions
- Spotting Errors – 5 questions
- Fill in the blanks – 5 Questions
Apart from the above-mentioned topics, you may also come across questions from –
- Sentence Improvement
- New pattern based Spotting Errors, Para jumbles, Fillers.
- Vocabulary based questions
- Sentence Connectors
- Odd one out based questions
Two crucial factors that you need to take care of while preparing English Section are –
If you manage to have a good hold over these parameters, attempting questions of the English Language Section becomes comparatively easy.
- This parameter is important for any bank exam, since you come across numerous words in the questions and if you do not understand what they actually mean, you cannot expect to attempt them correctly.
- Make sure that you read at least 2-3 articles from different newspapers regularly. You can use The Hindu, Economic Times etc. for this. Try to look up the meaning of the new words that you come across in the article.
- You can also consult ‘Word Power made easy’ by Norman Lewis to improve your vocabulary section.
- Having a clear understanding of the grammar rules is a must for the exam.
- This will help you in numerous questions, especially Spotting errors.
- You can go through Objective General English by S.P. Bakshi and Grammar book by Wren and Martin for this purpose.
Try to keep following things in mind while solving questions of this section –
- While solving Reading Comprehension questions, try to first have a look at 1-2 questions and then proceed with the passage. This approach will help you mark out the answers easily.
- While attempting Cloze test, if you feel stuck on any blank, leave it out and move on to the next one. Once you are done with it, try to go through the previous blank. This might help since all the sentences of the passage are logically connected with each other.
- While solving Parajumbles, first have a quick glance at the given sentences to understand the gist of the passage. And then look for the independent sentence, which usually is the first sentence of the passage.
- Attempting Spotting Errors or Sentence Improvement based questions is comparatively easy if you have a clear understanding of all the grammar rules and the sentence structure.
- Make sure that you score well in every section so that you can clear the SBI Clerk cut off.