Set of general knowledge questions on Indian history.
Candidates who are preparing for different examination these history questions are very useful to know how well the preparation is going on. So here is set of 10 history questions.
Q–1 Consider the following statements.
(A) To understand the ancient laws and customs, British established the Asiatic society of Bengal in 1784 Calcutta.
(B) Sir William Jones, who translated the drama Abhijnashakuntalam in to English in 1789.
(C) Bhagavad-Gita, the most popular religious tent of the Hindu rendered into English by wilkins
(D) ‘Early history of India’ by Vincent Arthur smith, who prepared the first systematic history of ancient India.
Select the correct answer:
(i) A and B
(ii) A, B, C and D
(iii) D, C and A
(iv) B, C and D
Q–2 Select incorrect match
(A) Harshacharita — describes the earliest carries of Harshavardhana
(B) Sandhyakara Nandish’s Ramacharita – Narrates the story of conflict between the kaivarata peasants and the pala prince Rampala.
(C) Rajatarangini – ‘Story of Punjab rulers’
Select incorrect match
(i) B only
(ii) C and B
(iii) C only
Q–3 Which of the following statement is wrong?
(A) The study of coins are called epigraphy.
(B) The old writing used in inscription and other old records is called paleography.
(C) The Harappan inscription, which awaits decipherment of script in which ideas and objects were expressed in the form of picture, considered as a proto History.
(D) Ashokan inscription were engraved in the Sanskrit script.
Select incorrect statement:
(i) A and B
(ii) B, C and D
(iv) only D.
Q–4 Consider the following statement
(A) Pala empire, which dominated eastern India till the middle og the athc.
(B) Rashtraketa empire, which dominated the Deccan and also controlled territory in north and south India at various times
(C) Pratihara empire, which dominated Southern India till the middle of 9th century.
(D) Out of pala, pratihara and Rashtraketa pratihara emerged most powerful.
Select correct answer only
A and B
C and D
A, B and C
Q–5 The temple of Somnath which was demolished by Mohmud Ghazni was dedicated to Lord
Q–6 Whose philosophy is called the Advaita?
(a) Ramanujacharya (b) Shankaracharya
(c) Nagarjuna (d) Vasumitra
Q–7 Who has founded the Pala empire
Q–8 Match the following:
(A) Chayhan of Delhi Ajmer
(B) Pratihara of Kannauj
(C) Parmar of malwa
(D) Chalukya/Solanki of Kathiawar
(2) Avanti and Kannauj
(3) Anishal Vada
(4) Ujjain Dhar
(ii) Nagabhatta Ist
(iii) Sri Harsha
(iv) Mulraja Ist
(a) A–1 (i) B–2 (ii) C–3 (iii) D–4 (iv)
(b) A–4 (i) B–1 (iii) C–2 (iv) D–3 (ii)
(c) A–1 (i) B–2 (ii) C–4 (iii) D–3 (iv)
(d) A–4 (i) B–2 (ii) C–3 (iii) D–1 (iv)
Q–9 Which one of the following is incorrect statement?
(i) Nalanda University was founded by Kumargupta I (Gupta ruler) at Badagaon Bihar
(ii) O-dantpuri university was founded by Gopala pala ruler at Biharsharif Bihar.
(iii) Somapuri university was founded by Rampala at North Bengal.
(iv) Jagdal university was founded by Rampala in Bengal.
Q–10 Which of the following is not correct about the Advent of Europeans.
(i) Portuguese East India Company came in 1498 at cochin.
(ii) English East India Company came in 1600.
(iii) Dutch East India Company came in 1602.
(iv) Danish east India Company came in 1619 and French East India Company came in 1668.
Answers with explanation.
- :- b When British found that they were unable to administer India, having deep diversity in all the aspects of life, they established Asiatic society of Bengal in 1784 for detail study.
- :-c Rajatarangini means the ‘streams of the king’ written by Kalhana in the 9th Century A.D. It is a string of biographies of the king of Kashmir, and can be the first work which has several traits of history as it is understood in our times.
- :-d Ashokan inscription were engraved in the Brahmi script which was written from left to right. Some Ashokan inscription were also engraved in Kharosthi which was written from right to left. Greek and Aramaic were also used in Pakistan and Afghanistan at Ashokan inscription.
- :–b Pratihara dominated western India and upper Gangetic valley till middle of 9th Rashtruketa emerged powerful not pratihara.
- :– b Somnath is in Gujarat dedicated to lord Shiva
- :-b Shankaracharya philosophy is called Advaita Vedanta.
- :–A The pala empire was founded by Gopala probably in 750 AD. He was succeeded in 770 AD by his son Dharampala.
- :-B There all Kingdom were flourishing in early medieval period.
- :– 3 These all are Buddhist learning center. Somaapuri Buddist university was founded by Dharmapala at North Bengal.
- :– 4 Danish East India Company arrived in 1616 and French East India Company in 1664 respectively.