Fit India and MHRD Launch Special Films to Promote Indigenous Sports of India
- The Human Resource Development (MHRD) and Sports Ministry have collaborated to produce a series of special films promoting 10 indigenous sports of India.
- The ‘Department of School Education and Literacy’ under MHRD has joined hands with sports ministry’s flagship programme ‘Fit India’ under the ‘Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat’ initiative.
- The series is aimed at creating awareness about not just the indigenous games but also the culture and heritage of the states to which they belong MHRD.
- The 10 sports to be covered in the series are Kho-kho, Gatka, Kalaripayttu, Mallakhamb, Thang-Ta, Sqay, Kabaddi, Roll Ball, Tug of War and Shoooting Ball.
- The indigenous sports of India cover a mix of very old sports, for example, Kalaripayattu, and some as recent as Roll Ball which has gained a lot of popularity and is now played in at least 50 countries.
- The 10 episodes can be watched from Monday to Friday — June 8 to June 19 — at 11am, on the Fit India YouTube page and MHRD digital platforms.
- Speaking about the unique initiative, Union Minister of Youth and Sports, Kiren Rijiju said, “Indigenous Games are a focus area for the Sports Ministry. There are scholarships for athletes of these games and there is a growing interest among youngsters to pursue these sports.
The Ministry of Human Resource Development, formerly Ministry of Education, is responsible for the development of human resources in India.The Ministry is held currently by Ramesh Pokhriyal and is divided into two departments: the Department of School Education and Literacy, which deals with primary, secondary and higher secondary education, adult education and literacy, and the Department of Higher Education, which deals with university education, technical education, scholarship etc
- Headquarters – New Delhi
- Union Minister– Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
- Minister of State– Sanjay Dhotre
About Fit India Movement–
Fit India Movement is a nation-wide movement in India to encourage people to remain healthy and fit by including physical activities and sports in their daily lives. It was launched by Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi at Indira Gandhi Stadium in New Delhi on 29 August 2019.
- Founded – 29 August 2019
- Founder – New Delhi
- Headquarters – Kolkata, West Bengal
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें