Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurates 80 km long road curtailing Kailash-Mansarovar pilgrimage time
- Union Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated the road link from Dharchula (Uttarakhand) to Lipulekh (China Border) through video conferencing.
- He also flagged off a convoy of vehicles from Pithoragarh to Gunji.
- The road link was built successfully by Borders Road Organization (BRO).
- It is a 80 kilometre road and the altitude rises from 6,000 to 17,060 feet.
- The road originates from Ghatiabagarh and terminates at Lipulekh Pass, the gateway to Kailash-Mansarovar.
IMPORTANCE OF THE ROAD LINK
- Kailash Mansarovar is considered sacred and revered by Hindus, Buddhists and Jains and the yatra could be completed in one week compared to 2-3 weeks it took earlier through Sikkim or Nepal routes.
- The tiring trek through high-altitude terrain can now be avoided by the pilgrims of Kailash-Mansarovar Yatra.
- Lipulekh route had a trek of 90 Km through high altitude terrain and the elderly yartris faced lot of difficulties. The other two road ways via Sikkim and Nepal are along. They entailed approximately 20 per cent land journeys on Indian roads and 80 per cent land journeys in China. With the opening of Ghatiabgarh-Lipulekh road, this ratio has been reversed. Pilgrims to Manasarovar will traverse 84 per cent land journeys on Indian Roads and only 16 per cent land Journeys in China.
- Local trade and economic growth in the region would receive a boost with the operationalisation of this roadway.
PROBLEMS FACED DURING CONSTRUCTION
- Constant snowfall
- Steep rise in altitude
- Extremely low temperatures restricted the working season to five months.
- Numerous flash floods and cloud bursts over last few years led to extensive damages.
- In the initial 20 kilometres, the mountains have hard rock and are near vertical due to which BRO has lost many lives and 25 equipment were also badly damaged due to falling into Kali River.
- Develops and maintains road networks in India’s border areas and friendly neighboring countries.
- HQ- New Delhi
- Director General-Lt. Gen.Harpal Singh
- Parent Oragnization – Ministry of Defence
ABOUT KAILASH MASNSAORVAR YATRA
- Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam (KMVN) exclusively takes care of pilgrimage to Kailash, and to the sacred Mansarover lake.
- This organization works in collaboration with the Government of India’s Ministry of External Affairs, and the Government of China.
- Kailash – Mansarovar lies in Chinese-occupied Tibet.
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें