Current Affairs Today 5 & 6 July 2020
Hello Aspirants, Here we provide the important and Latest Current Affairs Today 5 & 6 July 2020, which have Latest updates of Current Affairs 2020 from all the newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economics Times, PIB, Times of India, Business Standard, Financial Express, Indian Express and all other official Government websites.
If you want to get more marks in Banking, SSC, Insurance, Railways, UPSC, RPSC, UPPSC and other state exams then you should read Our Current Affairs June 2020 for secured your job in Government Sector. We also provide Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2020 PDF which will be helpful for you to crack the exams.
Top 15 Current Affairs of 5 & 6 July 2020
Indian Railways Signs MoU with RailTel For Installation of IP based Video Surveillance System
- The Indian Railways has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with RailTel for installation of an IP-based video surveillance system at 6,049 railway stations across the country.
- RailTel, a public sector undertaking (PSU) under the Ministry of Railways, will be providing the video surveillance system (VSS) work at the 6,049 stations under categories A1, A, B, C ,D and E of the Indian Railways.
- The scope of work also includes integration of the existing standalone CCTV network of the railways into the VSS system for centralised monitoring……Click Here to Read More
PM Modi Launches ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat App Innovation Challenge’ For Indian Techies, Start-Ups
- Central government banned 59 Chinese apps, Prime Minister Narendra Modi invited India’s tech community to participate in the ‘Digital India Atmanirbhar Bharat Innovate Challenge’.
- Electronics and Information Technology (IT) Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, in a tweet, said the Prime Minister had launched the challenge to encourage Indian application developers and innovators.
- Everyone is aware of the huge potential and the scale products can achieve if they can satisfy the demand, he said……Click Here to Read More
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ and Kiren Rijiju Launch ‘Fit Hai to Hit Hai India’
- Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ and Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs and Ministry of Minority Affairs Kiren Rijiju interacted with students here today under the Fit India campaign by the Government of India.
- Olympic medal winner badminton player Ms P.V Sindhu and Indian football team Captain Shri. Sunil Chhetri were also present at the launch of “Fit Hai To Hit Hai India” program organized under the Fit India campaign.
- During this live interaction, all the dignitaries held detailed talks on being fit and enumerated the importance of fitness.The Fit India Talks sessions are being organized in association with the Sports Authority of India……Click Here to Read More
A New Shipping Service between Kolkata Port & Chattogram Begins
- In a significant stride to augment Indo-Bangla trade, Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port (SMP), erstwhile Kolkata Port Trust, on Friday started a new service between Kolkata Dock System (KDS) and Chattogram through Indo-Bangladesh Protocol Route.
- In its maiden voyage, the vessel ‘M.V Asiatic Moon” (Singapore Flag) is carrying 300 containers of Indian exports to Bangladesh.
- The primary goods that are being exported are ferro metal alloys and garments. This is the biggest vessel by size to ply between Kolkata and Chattogram till date……Click Here to Read More
Odisha Govt Announces Balaram Scheme to Empower Over 7 Lakh Landless Farmers
- The Odisha government has launched a scheme ‘Balaram’ to provide agricultural credit of Rs 1,040 crore to landless farmers who are facing hardships due to the coronavirus outbreak, officials said.
- Around seven lakh landless cultivators will be benefited from the programme in the next two years, they said.
- The decision in this regard was taken at a high-level meeting presided over by chief secretary A K Tripathy……Click Here to Read More
Tourism Faces Atleast 1.2 Trillion U.S. Dollars Loss From COVID-19 Woes
- The world’s tourism sector could lose at least 1.2 trillion dollars or 1.5 per cent of the global gross domestic product (GDP) having been placed at a standstill for nearly four months due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to a new report by UNCTAD.
- The UN’s trade and development body warned that the loss could rise to 2.2 trillion dollars or 2.8 per cent of the world’s GDP if the break in international tourism lasts for eight months, in line with the expected decline in tourism as projected by the UN World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO).
- UNCTAD estimates losses in the most pessimistic scenario, a 12-month break in international tourism, at 3.3 trillion dollars or 4.2 per cent of global GDP……Click Here to Read More
Record 53.6 million tonnes of E-waste Dumped Globally in 2019 -UN report
- India is the third largest electronic waste generator in the world after China and the USA and these three countries together contributed 38% of total 53.6 million tonnes (Mt) of e-waste, generated worldwide in 2019.Releasing these data, the UN’s Global E-waste Monitor 2020.
- However, presented a worrying scenario where only 17.4% (9.3 Mt) of the total e-waste was collected and recycled globally. It means gold, platinum and other high-value recoverable critical raw materials (cobalt, palladium, indium, germanium, bismuth, and antimony), worth US $57 billion, dumped or burned in e-waste last year.
- Though there is no such estimation for India, the country’s low recycling capacity (8 lakh tonnes annually) is an indication of big loss in terms of its inability to mine……Click Here to Read More
Economy, Banking & Business News
IndiaFirst Life to Offer Exclusive COVID-19 and Hospital Cash Cover to Bank of Baroda Credit Cardholders
- COVID-19 Diagnosis Cash Benefit/Hospitalisation Cash Benefit amount – Rs. 5,000 & Rs. 10,000.
- Hospitalisation Frequency – Cash benefit for 2 or 4 times of hospitalisation in a year, Option to choose any one of the proposed benefits categories and the premium would be charged accordingly IndiaFirst Life Insurance Company Limited (IndiaFirst Life), promoted by Bank of Baroda and Union Bank of India, has associated with BOB Financial Services Limited (BOB Financial), a wholly owned subsidiary of Bank of Baroda, to offer a unique group insurance covering that provides financial support upon hospitalisation or on COVID-19 diagnosis.
- BOB Financial has a range of credit card customers who will be able to opt for this insurance benefit by IndiaFirst Life……Click Here to Read More
Edelweiss AMC launches second tranche of Bharat Bond ETF
- The second tranche of Bharat Bond ETF will open for subscription on July 14, with a base issue size of Rs 3,000 crore.
- The Bharat Bond ETF program is an initiative of the government from the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management and the latter has given the mandate to Edelweiss AMC to design and manage the product.
- Edelweiss Asset Management today announced the launch of the second tranche of Bharat Bond ETF, with two new series, after the successful launch of the initial series of exchange traded funds (ETFs) in December 2019……Click Here to Read More
NLC India and Coal India to Form 50:50 JV to Develop Solar and Thermal Power Assets
- NLC India said it has signed a pact with state-owned CIL to form a joint venture (JV) to develop 5,000 megawatts of solar and thermal power assets across the country.
- The equity participation in the proposed JV between Coal India Ltd (CIL) and NLC India will be in the ratio of 50:50, NLC India said in a regulatory filing.
- “This JV company marks a new era in the power sector with the synergy and expertise of two central public sector undertakings under the Ministry of Coal,” the company said……Click Here to Read More
JB Chemicals to Get Investment of Rs. 3,100 Crore by Stake Sale to KKR
- Global investment firm KKR & Co. Inc. will pick up a controlling stake in Mumbai-based branded formulation player JB Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals (JB Chemicals).
- As part of the deal, KKR will acquire stake from the founding Mody family at Rs 745 per share (or 5 per cent premium to the closing price of Rs 715 on the BSE).
- According to a BSE notification, KKR has entered into an agreement to acquire 41.7 million equity shares of JB Chemicals, representing 54 per cent, from the promoters of the company, said a company statement……Click Here to Read More
Appointments & Resignations
France President Macron Picks Jean Castex as Prime Minister
- French President Emmanuel Macron Friday named top-level civil servant Jean Castex as the next Prime Minister of the country as part of a government reshuffle. This comes hours after former Prime Minister Edouard Philippe tendered his resignation earlier today.
- “The president of the Republic has named Jean Castex as prime minister and mandated him to form a government,” an official statement from the Elysee Palace read.
- The 55-year-old public servant, who is set to replace Philippe as Prime Minister, is widely known in French media as ‘monsieur déconfinement’, or ‘Mr Deconfinement’, for his pivotal role in drafting the strategy to lift lockdown measures in the country.
- Castex’ name is lesser known as he has never served as a minister in government. However, he has previously worked as an advisor to former French President Nicolas Sarkozy, who lost to Francois Hollande in the 2012 elections. He has been hailed an expert in the field of health, and has several years of experience working in France’s Health Ministry.
- Capital- Paris
- President- Emmanuel Macron
China’s 2-Time Olympic Champion and Badminton Legend Lin Dan Announces Retirement
- China’s two-time Olympic badminton champion Lin Dan, one of the sport’s greatest singles players, announced his retirement.
- The 37-year-old, who won the Olympics singles titles in Beijing in 2008 and the 2012 London Games, has won all the sport’s major titles, including five world championships’ gold medals.
- “I’ve dedicated everything to the sport I love. My family, coaches, team mates and fans have accompanied me through many happy times and difficult moments,” Chinese media quoted Lin Dan as saying in the retirement announcement.
- “Now I’m 37 years old, and my physical fitness and pain no longer……Click Here to Read More
Carl Reiner, Comedy Icon and ”Dick Van Dyke Show” Creator, Dead at 98
- Hollywood veteran and multihyphenate personality Carl Reiner, best known as the creator of “The Dick Van Dyke Show” and director of several Steve Martin films like “All of Me”, has died. He was 98.
- Reiner died of natural causes on Monday night at his Beverly Hills home, his assistant Judy Nagy confirmed to Variety.
- A writer, filmmaker, actor, and voice artiste, Reiner first came to prominence as part of comic legend Sid Caesar”s team “Caeser”s Hour” and “You Show of Shows” in the late 1950s, and won multiple Emmy awards, including five for “The Dick Van Dyke Show” in the next decade.
- In the show, he played the role of Alan Brady, a temperamental comedian who terrorised Dick Van Dyke”s character and the other writer.
- Reiner was active in showbiz well into his sunset years with roles in the popular “Ocean”s Eleven” series as the elderly con man Saul Bloom, and recurring roles on TV sitcoms like “Two and a Half Men” and “Hot in Cleveland”.
- “Two and a Half Men” star Jon Cryer remembered Reiner as a lovely man who lived a wonderful life and brought joy to literally millions.
- In 2017, Reiner, his longtime friend and frequent comedy partner Mel Brooks, Norman Lear, Kirk Douglas and other contemporary Hollywood legends were featured in the HBO documentary “If You”re Not in the Obit, Eat Breakfast,” examining the secrets to longevity in a fickle industry.
- Reiner and Brooks worked on an elongated skit in which Reiner played an interviewer to Brooks” “2000 Year Old Man”. A 1961 recording of the skit was a runaway success and churned many sequels, the last of which, “The 2000 Year Old Man in the Year 2000” (1998) won the duo a Grammy.
President Ram Nath Kovind to Inaugurate the Dhamma Chakra Day Celebrations on July 4, 2020
- President of India Ramnath Kovind on Saturday, July 4, inaugurated the Asadha Poornima celebrations from the Rashtrapati Bhavan, organised by International Buddhist Confederation (IBC). The celebrations were organised in partnership with the Union Ministry of Culture.
- Dharma Chakra Day commemorates Lord Buddha’s first sermon to his first five ascetic disciples at the Deer Park in Rsipatana in the present-day Sarnath near Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh. The day is also celebrated by Buddhists all over the world as the day of Dharma Chakra Parvattana or “Turning of the Wheel of Dharma”. This day is also observed as Guru Poornima by both Buddhists and Hindus as a day to mark reverence to their Gurus……Click Here to Read More
International Day of Cooperatives 2020 – History, Significance
- Each year, on the first Saturday of July, the International Day of Cooperatives is observed. The International Day Of Cooperatives celebration is done by conducting several events. These events are based on the purpose of creating awareness about areas of concern on a global scale.
- The International Day of Cooperatives 2020 will be celebrated on Saturday, July 4 this year. To know more information about this globally significant day, keep reading ahead.
- The United Nations International Day of Cooperatives 2020 will be observed on July 4. The purpose of the International Day of Cooperatives Celebration is to draw the world’s attention to cooperatives and their work……Click Here to Read More
Current Affairs Today
[table id=66 /]