Current Affairs Today 4 July 2020
Hello Aspirants, Here we provide the important and Latest Current Affairs Today 4 July 2020, which have Latest updates of Current Affairs 2020 from all the newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economics Times, PIB, Times of India, Business Standard, Financial Express, Indian Express and all other official Government websites.
If you want to get more marks in Banking, SSC, Insurance, Railways, UPSC, RPSC, UPPSC and other state exams then you should read Our Current Affairs June 2020 for secured your job in Government Sector. We also provide Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2020 PDF which will be helpful for you to crack the exams.
Top 15 Current Affairs of 4 July 2020
NHAI to Set Up InvIT, Forms Search Panel For Investment Manager Board
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has initiated the process of setting up an infrastructure investment trust (InvIT) to scout for funding in the highways sector. As part of the structure, it will set up a company to act as an investment manager to the proposed InvIT.
- This will be a collective investment scheme, through which individuals and institutional investors may invest in infrastructure projects directly. A panel has been formed to select the investment manager, the NHAI informed.
- In such a model, assets are placed in an InvIT where investors put in money. Income generated from such assets is paid as dividend.
- The idea is to set up a competent entity of experts to professionally run the trust. This will enable it to mobilise resources from the market in order to monetise completed highway projects……Click Here to Read More
Defence Ministry Approves Purchase of 33 New Fighter Jets Including 21 MiG-29s From Russia
- In the midst of India”s tense border standoff with China, the defence ministry on Thursday approved procurement of 33 frontline fighter jets, a number of missile systems and other military hardware at a cost of Rs 38,900 crore to bolster the combat capability of the armed forces, officials said.
- They said 21 MiG-29 fighter jets will be procured from Russia while 12 Su-30 MKI aircraft will be bought from State-run aerospace behemoth Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL). A separate proposal to upgrade existing 59 MiG-29 aircraft has also been approved.
- The ministry has also approved procurement of 248 ASTRA beyond visual range (BVR) air-to-air missile systems and a significant number of long……Click Here to Read More
Union HRD Minister and Union Health Minister Jointly Launch the Drug Discovery Hackathon 2020 (DDH2020)
- Union human resource development minister Ramesh Pokhriyal on Thursday launched a ‘Drug Discovery Hackathon’ through video conferencing. He invited students, researchers and professionals to participate in the Hackathon and work towards developing anti-Covid drugs. Union minister for health and family welfare, Dr Harshvardhan, Minister of state for HRD, Sanjay Dhotre and AICTE Chairman Prof. Anil Sahasrabudhe, Dr Shekhar Mande, director general of CSIR were also present during the launch.
- The Hackathon is a joint initiative of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). The hackathon is conceptualised under guidance of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Participants will submit their ideas online in the Hackathon after which the CSIR laboratories, privates labs and startups will work towards……Click Here to Read More
Russians Grant Putin Right to Extend His Rule Until 2036 in Landslide Vote
- Russians appeared to have paved the way for Vladimir Putin to stay in power until 2036 by voting overwhelmingly for a package of constitutional changes which will also boost pensions, initial results of a nationwide vote showed on Wednesday.
- Partial results, announced five hours before polls closed, indicate the former KGB officer who has ruled Russia for more than two decades as president or prime minister will win the right to run for two more terms. That means he could remain president for 16 more years.
- The Central Election Commission said 77.9% of votes counted across the world’s largest country had supported changing the constitution……Click Here to Read More
HDFC Bank to Offer ZipDrive Instant Auto Loans Across 1,000 Cities in India
- HDFC Bank on Thursday announced its plans to offer ZipDrive Instant Auto Loans to customers across 1,000 cities across India.
- ZipDrive is HDFC Bank’s instant auto loan disbursal product, exclusively for bank customers with a pre-approved offer.
- The offering is now being extended to Tier 2 and 3 cities, such as Bhimavaram in Andhra Pradesh, Hardoi in Uttar Pradesh, Thalassery in Kerala, and Balasore in Odisha among other places, across India……Click Here to Read More
Kotak & Innoviti in Pact to Offer EMIs on Kotak Debit Cards Swiped on Innoviti POS Terminals
- Kotak Mahindra Bank (Kotak) and Innoviti Payment Solutions today announced that they have collaborated to offer convenient equated monthly installments (EMI) billing options on Kotak Debit Cards swiped on Innoviti POS terminals. Over 10 million Kotak customers now have the option of repaying their purchases in installments by using the EMIs on Debit Cards facility at 70,000+ Innoviti POS terminals across 1000+ cities.
- Importantly, with over half of Innoviti’s POS terminals installed in 350 smaller cities and towns in India with a population of less than 2 million, this arrangement will help consumers particularly in tier 2 & 3 cities access credit conveniently through their Kotak debit cards.
- Ambuj Chandna, President – Consumer Assets, Kotak Mahindra Bank said, “Customer convenience and affordability is at the heart of Kotak and Innoviti signing this pact, and it gives me great delight to extend our EMIs on Debit Card offering to a wider network of merchants for the benefit of our debit cardholders. This flexibility on repayments becomes all the more important in these uncertain times. The power of EMIs on Kotak Debit Cards is that it provides easy and affordable……Click Here to Read More
ADB Joins Network For Greening the Financial System as Observer
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has joined the central banks and supervisors Network for Greening the Financial System (NGFS) as an observer.
- NGFS, launched at the Paris One Planet Summit on December 12, 2017, is a group of central banks and supervisors willing to share best practices and contribute to the development of environment and climate risk management in the financial sector while mobilising mainstream finance to support the transition toward a sustainable economy.
- “NGFS is a valuable network to share ADB’s approaches and experience in addressing climate risk management in the financial sector,” said ADB Chief Economist Yasuyuki Sawada……Click Here to Read More
India’s GDP May Contract by 6.4% in FY21 Care Ratings
- Due to the COVID-19 induced lockdown, Care Ratings on July 2 revised India’s GDP growth forecast for the current financial year to (-) 6.4 percent as economic activity continues to be under restriction. The rating agency, in May, had projected a decline in GDP growth of 1.5-1.6 percent in FY21.
- It said given that the nation is into a lockdown for July too with several restrictions on resumption of services in particular as well as movement of people, the cutoff date for normalcy will spread into the latter part of the third quarter and more likely to the fourth quarter.
- “Under these assumptions our forecast for GDP growth is now (-) 6.4 percent for FY21 with GVA (de)growth estimated to be around (-) 6.1 percent,” Care Ratings said in a report……Click Here to Read More
India’s External Debt Rises $15.4 Billion to $558.5 Billion in March
- India”s external debt for the quarter ended March 2020 rose to $558.5 billion on account of currency valuation effect, commercial borrowings and non-resident Indian (NRI) deposits, official data showed on Tuesday.
- The external debt during the period under review rose by 2.8 per cent or $15.4 billion on a year-on-year basis.
- “At end-March 2020, India”s external debt was placed at $558.5 billion, recording an increase of $15.4 billion over its level at end-March 2019,” the RBI said……Click Here to Read More
Intel Capital to Buy 0.39% Stake in Jio Platforms For Rs 1,894 crore
- Electronic chip maker Intel”s investment arm, Intel Capital, will buy 0.39 per cent stake in billionaire Mukesh Ambani”s digital unit, Jio Platforms, for Rs 1,894.50 crore, the company said on Friday.
- Intel Capital is 12th company to join the list of marquee firms who have recently invested in Jio Platforms, taking the total investment amount to Rs 1,17,588.45 crore.
- “Intel Capital will invest Rs 1,894.50 crore in Jio Platforms at an equity value of Rs 4.91 lakh crore and an enterprise value of Rs 5.16 lakh crore. Intel Capital”s investment will translate into a 0.39 per cent equity stake in Jio Platforms on a fully diluted basis,” Reliance Industries and Jio Platforms said in a joint statement……Click Here to Read More
Awards & Recognitions
13 Year Old Girl Freya Thakral From Delhi Receives Award in Memory of Princess Diana
- Thirteen-year-old Freya Thakral, a student from The British School, New Delhi, has been bestowed with the highest accolade a young person can achieve for social action or humanitarian efforts – The Diana Award. She has been added to the roll of honours on Princess Diana’s birthday – July 1, 2020.
- Established in memory of Diana, Princess of Wales, the award is given out by the charity of the same name and has the support of both her sons, The Duke of Cambridge and The Duke of Sussex.
- After speaking with some of Delhi’s 500,000 underpaid and marginalised rubbish pickers – many of whom are children……Click Here to Read More
Kritika Pandey Wins 2020 Commonwealth Short Story Prize
- Kritika Pandey has become the overall winner of the £5000 Commonwealth Short Story Prize 2020 for her story ‘The Great Indian Tee and Snakes’ in June 2020. She was presented the said award by the Chair of the 2020 judging panel – the acclaimed Ghanaian writer and editor, Nii Ayikwei Parkes in the first-ever online ceremony held during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The said 2020 award panel is chaired by Nii Ayikwei Parkes, and it included South African writer and musician Mohale Mashigo (Judge for Africa), Executive Director of the Singapore Books Council William Phuan (Asia), Canadian author Heather O’Neill (Canada and Europe), Trinidadian scholar and writer Elizabeth Walcott-Hackshaw (Caribbean), and an Australian writer and arts organiser……Click Here to Read More
Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Launches Toolkit For Swachh Survekshan 2021
- Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri today launched the toolkit for Swachh Survekshan-2021, the sixth edition of the annual cleanliness survey of urban India conducted by Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. Addressing on the occasion, Mr Puri said, every year, the Swachh Survekshan is redesigned innovatively, to ensure that the process becomes more robust, with focus on sustaining the behaviour change.
- He said, like in the last year, keeping in mind the Ministry’s efforts towards ensuring sustainability of the sanitation value chain, the Swachh Survekshan-2021 indicators focus on parameters pertaining to wastewater treatment and reuse along with faecal ssludge. Mr Puri announced a new category of awards titled Prerak Dauur Samman as part of Swachh Survekshan-2021……Click Here to Read More
Science & Technology
IIT Kanpur Develops Virtual Classroom System ‘Mobile Masterjee’
- IIT Kanpur has developed a classroom-to-home teaching setup ‘Mobile Masterjee’. It will be very helpful to students in rural India. This setup can record the lectures or instructions by the teachers while using their available smartphones.
- The Imagineering Laboratory, IIT Kanpur has developed a classroom-to-home teaching setup that can record the lectures or instructions by the teachers while using their available smartphones. It is named ‘Mobile Masterjee’, who can capture the videos of the classroom lecture in many positions. The product is lightweight and has adjustments to fit sheets and book on it for delivering instructions to the kids. A set graduated scale aligns the sheet at the desired angle, followed by the rotational quick adjustment of the mobile holder……Click Here to Read More
Appointments & Resignations
French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe Resigns, Successor to be Named
- French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe has resigned as a government reshuffle is expected in the coming days, the French presidency announced Friday.
- The statement didn”t say whether whether Philippe will be replaced or will stay on as the head of a new government.
- President Emmanuel Macron is seeking to open a new chapter for the two remaining years of his term that will focus on efforts to relaunch the French economy deeply hit by the coronavirus crisis.
- The reshuffle comes days after a green wave swept over France in local elections. Macron saw his young centrist party being defeated in France”s biggest cities and failing to plant local roots across the country.
- The reshuffle was planned even before the voting, as Macron”s government faced obstacles and criticism before Sunday”s election and during the virus crisis.
France, in Western Europe, encompasses medieval cities, alpine villages and Mediterranean beaches. Paris, its capital, is famed for its fashion houses, classical art museums including the Louvre and monuments like the Eiffel Tower. The country is also renowned for its wines and sophisticated cuisine. Lascaux’s ancient cave drawings, Lyon’s Roman theater and the vast Palace of Versailles attest to its rich history.
- Capital- Paris
- President- Emmanuel Macron
NHAI Chairman Sukhbir Singh Sandhu Gets Six Months Extension
- Senior bureaucrat Sukhbir Singh Sandhu was on Thursday given six months extension, till mid January next year, as the chairman of National Highways Authority of India, a Personnel Ministry order said.
- Sandhu, a 1988 batch IAS officer of Uttarakhand cadre, took charge of the post in October last year.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the extension in central deputation tenure of Sandhu, chairman, National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) for a period of six months beyond July 21, 2020 i.e. up to January 21, 2021, the order said.
Veteran Bollywood Choreographer Saroj Khan Passes Away
- Noted choreographer Saroj Khan has passed away at the age of 71 due to cardiac arrest, media reports suggest.
- Saroj Khan was battling ill health since the past few days. She was admitted to Guru Nanak Hospital in Mumbai on June 20 after complaining of breathlessness.
- Her career spanned over 40 years where she choreographed over 2,000 songs.
- Saroj Khan received the National Award for Best Choreography, three times for Devdas (2003), Sringaram (2006) and Jab We Met (2008).
- Saroj Khan started off as a child artist aged just 3 in a film called Nazrana.
- Khan, known as ‘Masterji’ across Bollywood, last worked in the film Kalank for a song, where she choreographed Madhuri Dixit.
Current Affairs Today
[table id=65 /]