Current Affairs Today 30 June 2020
Hello Aspirants, Here we provide the important and Latest Current Affairs Today 30 June 2020, which have Latest updates of Current Affairs 2020 from all the newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economics Times, PIB, Times of India, Business Standard, Financial Express, Indian Express and all other official Government websites.
If you want to get more marks in Banking, SSC, Insurance, Railways, UPSC, RPSC, UPPSC and other state exams then you should read Our Current Affairs June 2020 for secured your job in Government Sector. We also provide Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2020 PDF which will be helpful for you to crack the exams.
Top 10 Current Affairs of 30 June 2020
India Bans 59 Chinese Apps Including TikTok, Helo, WeChat
- India banned 59 apps with Chinese links, including hugely popular TikTok and UC Browser, saying they were prejudicial to sovereignty, integrity and security of the country.
- The ban, which comes in the backdrop of current stand-off along the Line of Actual control in Ladakh with Chinese troops, is also applicable for WeChat and Bigo Live.
- The list of apps that have been banned also include Helo, Likee, CamScanner, Vigo Video, Mi Video Call – Xiaomi, Clash of Kings as well as e-commerce platforms Club Factory and Shein.
- This marks the largest sweep against the Chinese technology companies……Click Here to Read More
Education Minister Shares India’s E-Learning Intitiatives With G20 Member States
- Union HRD minister Ramesh Pokhriyal today virtually participated in G-20 Extraordinary Virtual Education Ministers’ Meeting. This special session has been convened to discuss the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on the education sector, how different nations have dealt with it and how the member states can collaborate to further the cause of education in these difficult times.
- In his statement, Pokhriyal informed all members about India’s efforts to mitigate the impact of Covid-19 on all sectors including education.
- He also shared information about efforts of HRD Ministry to promote digital……Click Here to Read More
Agreement For First Indo-Bhutan Joint Venture Hydroelectric Project Signed
- India and Bhutan on Monday signed a pact for the construction of the 600 MW Kholongchhu joint venture hydroelectric project in Bhutan that is to be completed in five years.
- The agreement for the project between the Bhutanese government and the Kholongchhu Hydro Energy Limited was signed in the presence of Indian foreign minister S Jaishankar and his Bhutanese counterpart Tandi Dorji. The two ministers joined the event via video link.
- The Kholongchhu Hydro Energy Limited is a joint venture between Bhutan’s Druk Green Power Corporation (DGPC) and India’s Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited (SJVNL), a statement from the Indian foreign ministry said……Click Here to Read More
Culture Ministry to Celebrate “Sankalp Parva” to Plant Trees From 28th June to 12 July 2020
- On the call of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Ministry of Culture has decided to celebrate Sankalp Parva from tomorrow to 12th July to plant trees. Minister of Culture Prahlad Singh Patel said that his Ministry has recommended to the people to plant five trees which have been identified by the Prime Minister and represent the herbal heritage of our country. These trees are Bargad, Awla, Pepal, Ashok and Bel.
- He also said that if the saplings of these trees are not available then people may plant any other sapling of their choice.
- Mr Patel also said that the organizations must ensure that each employee plants at least one tree of his or her choice over and above five such trees……Click Here to Read More
Government Sanctions Additional Rs 1,691 Cr For Highway Works in J&K, Uttarakhand
- The government has approved an additional Rs 1,691 crore for highway works by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) in Jammu & Kashmir and Uttarakhand for 2020-21
- Of this, Rs 1,351.10 crore has been sanctioned to BRO for road works in Jammu & Kashmir, the road transport and highways ministry said in a communication to Border Roads Development Board (BRDB) Director General Lt Gen Harpal Singh.
- A total of Rs 340 crore ceiling has been approved for Uttarakhand for national highways, according to the communication dated June 24……Click Here to Read More
India’s ‘First’ Lichen Park in Uttarakhand to Conserve Jurassic Era Plant
- Indicator of pollution levels in the Himalayas, Uttarakhand forest department has claimed to have developed country’s first lichen park in Kumaon’s Munsiyari area, spread over 1.5 acres with over 80 species of lichens collected from across the Himalayan state.
- Considered most significant bio-indicator of ecosystem fluctuations as they are more sensitive towards habitat and climate changes, lichen species are facing many threats and continue to decline from some areas of Himalayan regions because of overexploitation of natural resources, mounting pressures of urbanization, habitat-destruction, deforestation and increasing pollution, according to forest officials.
- Sanjiv Chaturvedi, Conservator of Forests (Research Wing) Uttarakhand said……Click Here to Read More
36th ASEAN Summit to be Held via Video Conference Chaired by Vietnam
- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) on Friday opened its 36th summit chaired by Vietnam via video conference, which focused onthe COVID-19 epidemic response, post-pandemic recovery and further cooperation with partners.
- Addressing the opening ceremony of the summit, Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc said he expected the summit to be an opportunity to “once again affirm the strong solidarity, political will, and determination of ASEAN member countries to overcome difficulties, to determinedly head forward”, reports Xinhua news agency.
- The ASEAN needs to continue to effectively control the COVID-19 epidemic and overcome the consequences of the epidemic while recovering……Click Here to Read More
India Among Switzerland’s Top-3 Partners For Info Exchange on Tax Matters – Global Forum
- India figures among the top-three countries getting detailed information from Switzerland about bank accounts and beneficiary ownership of entities established by their residents in the Alpine nation, according to the latest study by OECD’s Global Forum on transparency and exchange of information for tax purposes.
- In its latest peer review report on exchange of information on request, the Global Forum, which is tasked to assess the standard of exchange of information on request by various jurisdictions worldwide and their compliance, said Switzerland is rated ‘largely compliant’.
- India is also rated as ‘largely compliant’ by this OECD……Click Here to Read More
NASA Renamed Its Headquarters For ‘Hidden Figure’ Mary Jackson
- Nasa said that it will rename its Washington headquarters after its first black female engineer, Mary Jackson, whose story was told in the hit film “Hidden Figures.
- “Mary W. Jackson was part of a group of very important women who helped NASA succeed in getting American astronauts into space,” Nasa administrator Jim Bridenstine said in a statement.
- “Mary never accepted the status quo, she helped break barriers and open opportunities for African Americans and women in the field of engineering and technology.”
- In 1951, Jackson was recruited by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, which in 1958 was succeeded by Nasa……Click Here to Read More
World Bank Sanctions $500 Million Projects to Improve Education Quality in Indian States
- The World Bank has approved a $500 million Strengthening Teaching-Learning and Results for States Program (STARS), on June 24 to improve the quality and governance of school education in six Indian states. Some 250 million students (between the age of 6 and 17) in 1.5 million schools, and over 10 million teachers will benefit from the program, a statement said.
- The STARS program builds on the long partnership between India and the World Bank (since 1994), for strengthening public school education and to support the country’s goal of providing ‘Education for All’. Prior to STARS, the Bank had provided a total assistance of more than $3 billion towards this goal……Click Here to Read More
RBI Extends Enhanced Borrowing Limit Under MSF Till September 30
- Amid the economic woes created by the Coronavirus pandemic, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to extend the enhanced borrowing facility provided to the banks to meet their liquidity shortages till September 30.
- The RBI, as a temporary measure, had increased the borrowing limit of scheduled banks under the marginal standing facility (MSF) scheme from 2 per cent to 3 per cent of their Net Demand and Time Liabilities (NDTL) with effect from March 27, 2020.
- Under the MSF, banks can borrow overnight funds at their discretion by dipping into the Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR)……Click Here to Read More
World Bank Enhances Support For Rejuvenating Ganga, Sanctions USD 400 mn
- The World Bank on Monday said it has enhanced its support for Government of India”s program to rejuvenate Ganga river with a USD 400 million (about Rs 3,000 crore) assistance that will help stem pollution in the river.
- The assistance will help strengthen the management of the river basin which is home to more than 500 million people, the World Bank said in a statement.
- “The Second National Ganga River Basin Project (SNGRBP), approved by the World Bank”s Board of Executive Directors on June 25, will support the government”s Namami Gange program and its long-term vision for controlling pollution in the river and restoring its water quality,” it said……Click Here to Read More
Awards & Recognitions
Beyonce to be Felicitated With Humantarian Award at ”BET Awards 2020”
- Popstar Beyonce will be honoured with the Humanitarian Award at the 20th edition of the ”BET Awards”.
- The American award show, which was established in 2001 by the Black Entertainment Television network, aims to to celebrate African Americans and other minorities in music, acting, sports and other fields of entertainment over the past year.
- Beyonce, 38, is being honoured for her longstanding philanthropic work, including her recent COVID-19 relief efforts, a statement posted on the official website of the awards……Click Here to Read More
Appointments & Resignations
Lazarus Chakwera sworn in as Malawi president
- Malawi’s opposition leader Lazarus Chakwera was sworn in Sunday as the southern African country’s new president after winning the re-run of a hotly disputed election.
- It was a dramatic reversal of fortune for the incumbent Peter Mutharika, whose victory in a May 2019 ballot was overturned by the Constitutional Court over fraud allegations.
- Chakwera, a former evangelist preacher, was declared the winner of the election replay held on Tuesday with almost 59 percent of the vote, according to results announced late Saturday.
- Malawi is only the second African country south of the Sahara to have presidential poll results overturned in court, after Kenya in 2017.
- And it is the first time in the region that a vote re-run has led to the defeat of an incumbent leader.”I… do solemnly swear that I will well and truly perform the functions of the high office of the president of the Republic of Malawi and that I will preserve and defend the Constitution,” the 65-year-old Chakwera said as he took his oath before thousands of supporters.
- Opposition candidate Saulos Chilima was sworn in as vice president.Some 6.8 million Malawians returned to the polls on Tuesday after the country’s top court found the first election had been marred by widespread irregularities – including the use of correction fluid to tamper with result sheets.
- Chakwera was pronounced the winner with 2.6 million votes, while Mutharika took 1.75 million and underdog candidate Peter Dominico Kuwani over 32,400.
- Voter turnout was just under 65 percent.
- In power since 2014, Mutharika had won 38 percent of the discredited vote last year, just ahead of Chakwera with about 35 percent.
Malawi, a landlocked country in southeastern Africa, is defined by its topography of highlands split by the Great Rift Valley and enormous Lake Malawi. The lake’s southern end falls within Lake Malawi National Park – sheltering diverse wildlife from colorful fish to baboons – and its clear waters are popular for diving and boating. Peninsular Cape Maclear is known for its beach resorts.
- Capital- Lilongwe
- Currency- Malawian Kwacha
Micheál Martin Becomes New Irish PM After Historic Coalition deal
- Ireland’s Fianna Fail party on Saturday announced the election of its leader Michael Martin as as the new prime minister, after reaching a coalition agreement with two other leading parties to form a new government.
- Martin succeeds Leo Varadkar as prime minister, Varadkar heads Fianna Fail’s main coalition partner Fine Gael. Martin achieved a working majority in the parliament after the country’s Green Party voted to join the coalition.
- As per report by Sputnik Ireland’s lower house voted 93-63 in favor of Martin to elect him the Prime Minister in a special parliamentary vote on Saturday. Martin is to serve as the country’s leader for two years before Varadkar returns to the position, as per the coalition deal.
Ireland is an island in the North Atlantic. It is separated from Great Britain to its east by the North Channel, the Irish Sea, and St George’s Channel. Ireland is the second-largest island of the British Isles, the third-largest in Europe, and the twentieth-largest on Earth.
- Capital– Dublin
- Currency– Euro
- President– Michael D. Higgins
- Prime Minister(Taoiseach)– Micheál Martin
Uttar Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel Given Additional Charge of Madhya Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel has been given the additional charge of Madhya Pradesh during the absence on leave of incumbent Lal Ji Tandon, according to a Rashtrapati Bhavan statement on Sunday. Tandon, 85, has been undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Lucknow since June 11.
- “The President of India is pleased to appoint Anandiben Patel, Governor of Uttar Pradesh, to discharge the functions of the Governor of Madhya Pradesh, in addition to her own duties, during the absence on leave of Lal Ji Tandon,” the statement said.
About Anandiben Mafatbhai Patel-
Anandiben Patel (born 21 November 1941) is an Indian politician serving as the current Governor of Uttar Pradesh. She has served as the former Chief Minister of Gujarat. She was the first female chief minister of the state. She was a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) since 1987. She was the Cabinet Minister for Education from 2002 to 2007.
Current Affairs Today
[table id=62 /]