Current Affairs 12 May 2020
Hello Aspirants, Here we provide the important and Latest Current Affairs Today 12 May 2020, which have Latest updates of Current Affairs 2020 from all the newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economics Times, PIB, Times of India, Business Standard, Financial Express, Indian Express and all other official Government websites.
If you want to get more marks in Banking, SSC, Insurance, Railways, UPSC, RPSC, UPPSC and other state exams then you should read Our Current Affairs May 2020 for secured your job in Government Sector. We also provide Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2020 PDF which will be helpful for you to crack the exams.
Top 15 Current Affairs of 12 May 2020
COVID KAVACH: India’s first indigenous ELISA Test Kit for COVID-19
- Ahmedabad-based Cadila Healthcare Ltd has has been provided with technology to make and market the country’s first anti-SARS-Cov-2 human IgG Elisa test kit.
- The kit will be used for antibody detection of Covid-19.
- After the initial development at ICMR-NIV, technology has been transferred to Zydus Cadila for mass scale production.
ABOUT COVID KAVACH ELISA
- ‘Covid Kavach Elisa’ is the first indigenously developed IgG Elisa test for antibody detection.
- It has been developed by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), National Institute of Virology (NIV), Pune.
- This test will play a critical role in surveillance ……Click Here to Read More
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ announced modifications in PMRF Scheme to boost research
- The HRD Ministry announced amendments in the Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF) scheme.
- It included reduction in the required GATE score and introduction of a lateral entry option to attract more students.
- Under the scheme, 1000 seats were created which have been remaining empty every year. These changes were made so that students can apply.
- The requirement of GATE Score is reduced to 650 from 750 apart from minimum CGPA of 8 or equivalent for the students from any recognised institute or university (other than IISc, IITs, NITs, IISERs, IIEST and IIITs).
- There will be two channels of entries, one direct entry and lateral entry.
- In lateral entry, the students, who are pursuing PhD in PMRF……Click Here to Read More
MHA issues Standard Operating Protocol (SOP) to facilitate Movement of Persons by Train and Passenger services on Indian Railways shall be partially restored w.e.f. from 12th May 2020 in a graded mannerMHA issues Standard Operating Protocol (SOP) to facilitate Movement of Persons by Train and Passenger services on Indian Railways shall be partially restored w.e.f. from 12th May 2020 in a graded manner
- Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has issued Standard Operating Protocol (SOP) to facilitate movement of persons by train.
- Movement of trains shall be permitted by Ministry of Railways (MoR), in a graded manner, in consultation with Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MoHFW) and MHA.
GUIDELINES FOR THE PASSENGERS
- Movement of passengers to & fro and entry at the railway station would be permitted only on confirmed e-ticket.
- There would be compulsory medical screening of all passengers. Only asymptomatic persons would be allowed to board the train.
- During the travel and at the railway stations, Strict……Click Here to Read More
Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) releases fresh set of guidelines-Categorise cause of death, focus on sequence of events
- ICMR released fresh guidelines in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic.
- These outline a new standardised form where medical practitioners have to categorise the death’s immediate cause, antecedent cause, and other significant conditions in separate columns.
- These were issued as India’s Covid-19 death count surpasses 2,000 people.
TYPES OF CAUSES- EXPLAINED
- The immediate cause is the “disease, injury, or complication that caused the death, not the mode of dying”.
- The antecedent cause is the morbid condition(s) that “gave rise to the immediate cause”.
- The other significant conditions are those that “contributed to the death but are not related to the disease or to the condition causing it”.
- It is likely that Covid-19 is the Underlying Cause……Click Here to Read More
North Pole’s largest-ever ozone hole, 620,000 square miles, finally closes
- Scientists who have been observing the ozone hole at Copernicus’ Atmospheric Monitoring Service (CAMS) have announced that the hole is now closed.
- This ozone hole became the largest one ever recorded in the Arctic region spanning an area of over 620,000 square miles (or 997793.28 kms).
ABOUT THE 2020 Northern Hemisphere ozone hole
- This hole in Ozone was first identified by scientists in March 2020.
- This first opened when unusual wind conditions trapped frigid air over the North Pole for several weeks in a row.
- Those winds, known as a polar vortex, created a circular cage of cold air that led to the formation of high-altitude clouds in the region.
- The clouds mixed with man-made pollutants like chlorine and bromine, eating away at the surrounding ozone gas until a massive hole……Click Here to Read More
Economy,Business & Banking News
Central Board of Direct Taxes amends 44G of Income-tax Rules 1962
- Central Board of Direct Taxes has amended Rule 44G of Income-tax Rules, 1962 for making an application to invoke the Mutual Agreement Procedure (MAP) in Form no. 34F.
- These rules will be called Income-tax (8th Amendment) Rules, 2020.
IMPORTANT HIGHLIGHTS OF AMENDMENTS
- Rule 44G deals with application and procedure for giving effect to MAP agreement.
- The revised Form 34F deals with respect to making application to the competent authority for invoking MAP.
- Indian authorities would “endeavour” to resolve MAP disputes within a timeframe of 24 months. This move is aimed at speedy settlement of cases of multinational corporations that have opted the alternative dispute resolution process.
- If a resolution is arrived, the same shall be communicated……Click Here to Read More
Carlyle Group to buy 74% in SeQuent Scientific for over Rs 1,500 crore
- Private equity player The Carlyle Group will acquire a majority 74% stake in SeQuent Scientificfor over Rs 1,500 crore.
- The deal will be executed through two investment vehicles-CA Harbor Investments, affiliated entity of CAP V Mauritius, which is an affiliated entity of Carlyle. The deal is the Carlyle’s first majority transaction in an Indian publicly-listed company.
- The promoters of the company sold a 44.92% stake and Carlyle agreed to buy 5.69% of the existing private equity investor Ascent Capital.
- The deal was managed by Nomura acting as the Financial advisor for Carlyle.
- The Law Firm Nishith Desai Associates was the advisor of Sequent and its Promoters.
- Under the Securities and Exchange Board of India’s……Click Here to Read More
Former Union Minister Dalit Ezhilmalai passed away at 74
- Former Union Minister of State for Health Dalit Ezhilmalai passed away at 74 in his residence in Chennai, Tamil Nadu due to a cardiac arrest.
- He was born on 24th July 1945 in Irumbedu village, Chengalpattu, Tamil Nadu
ABOUT Mr. Ezhilmalai
- He served in the Former Post & Telegraph Department of the Government of India Between 1963 and 1987 and deputed to the Army for five years.
- He participated in the Indo-Pak War of 1971 as an army officer and received Sainik Sewa Medal for his meritorious service.
- He was one of the founding members……Click Here to Read More
Historian Hari Vasudevan passed away at the age of 84
- Historian Hari Sankar Vasudevan died at a private hospital in Kolkata at the age of 68.
- He was tested positive for coronavirus. He was put on a ventilator after developing respiratory distress.
ABOUT Mr. Vasudevan
- He was a graduate of Cambridge University, where he also completed his post-graduation and PhD.
- Vasudevan was the director of the ChinaCentre at Calcutta University. He was an expert on European and Russian history and the India-Russia relationship.
- Earlier, he served as director of Maulana……Click Here to Read More
Roy Horn of Vegas duo Siegfried & Roy dead at 75 from coronavirus
- Roy Horn died of complications related to the coronavirus at the age of 75 years.
- He is the half of the famed Las Vegas magic and entertainment duo Siegfried & Roy.
ABOUT ROY HORN
- Roy was born in Germany and emigrated to the United States and became naturalized citizens.
- He worked as a waiter on the cruise ship Bremen, where he met Fischbacher and launched his performance career. Both of them were……Click Here to Read More
ELSA Corp appoints Indian cricketer Ajinkya Rahane as its brand ambassador for India, Middle East, ANZ & SAARC
- ELSA Corp (English Language Speech Assistant Corporation) has appointed Ajinkya Rahane as its brand ambassador for India, Middle East, ANZ & SAARC.
- Ajinkya Rahane will be endorsing the brand’s mobile application.
- This association aims to popularize ELSA Speak amongst Indian individuals who want to better their English pronunciation.
ABOUT English Language Speech Assistant Corporation (ELSA) Corp.
- A global Edu-tech which uses speech recognition technology and artificial intelligence (A.I.) to help language learners improve their English pronunciation.
- ELSA aims to create an ecosystem of learning where individuals can master spoken English and become confident……Click Here to Read More
Books & Authors
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s biography ‘Finding Freedom’ set for August release
- Royal reporters Omid Scobie and Carolyn Dur will be releasing biography on the lives of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle by the name ‘Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family.’
- It will be released on 11 August 2020.
- The authors of the book were members of the select group of reporters that cover the British Royal Family and their engagements.
- The book claims to go beyond the headlines to reveal details of the couple.
- It will provide a glimpse into the lesser known aspects……Click Here to Read More
‘The Life of a Kargil War Hero’ authored by Colonel VN Thapar and Neha Dwivedi released
- The book titled as ‘Vijyant at Kargil: The Life of a Kargil Hero’ authored by Vijyant’s father Colonel VN Thaparand writer Neha Dwivedi was released.
- Neha Swivedi is a Kargil war martyr’s daughter, an Armoured Corps Officer’s wife and a doctor by profession.
- The book is published by Penguin Random House.
ABOUT THE BOOK
- It describes the journey of Vijyant Thapar to join the Indian Military Academy and the experiences that shaped him into……Click Here to Read More
Yes Bank has appointed Neeraj Dhawan as Chief Risk Officer
- Yes Bank has designated Neeraj Dhawan as its central hazard official with a quick impact.
- The board of directors appointed him as the chief risk officer of the bank for a period of three years.
- He will replace Ashish Agarwal.
- Prior to this, Dhawan was holding the position of chief risk officer for retail and business banking at Yes Bank.
- He finished his BCom from St.Xavier’s College in 1991.
- He completed his CS course on Company Law, Law, Tax, Accounts from the Institute of Company Secretaries in 1993.
- He has 29 years of experience in financial……Click Here to Read More
Days and Events
National Technology Day-11 May
- India observed its 29th National Technology Day in 2020 and this term was coined by late PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- This day is the reminder of India’s technological advancements.
- National Technology Day was first observed on May 11, 1999 to commemorate the achievements of Indian scientists and engineers.
- Every year since 1999, the Technology Development Board (TBD) celebrates this day by awarding individuals for their ……Click Here to Read More
Current Affairs Today
[table id=18 /]