China successfully launches its most powerful rocket-Long March 5B
- Chinahas launched a new rocket- Long March 5B along with a prototype deep-space spacecraft.
- This will pave the way for the country’s ambitions to operate a permanent space station and sending astronauts to Moon.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE MISSION
- A Long March 5B rocket took off from the Wenchang launch site on the southern island of Hainan.
- Aboard the Long March 5 was a special prototype spacecraft that is somewhat akin to the deep-space Orion capsule NASA has been developing to send people to the Moon and beyond.
- Eight minutes after the launch, the unmanned prototype spacecraft separated successfully and entered its planned orbit.
ABOUT LONG MARCH 5B
- The Long March 5b rocket is a massive vehicle with four strap-on boosters that provide extra thrust at liftoff.
- It weighs 849 tonnes and is 54-metre in length and is able to send over 22 tonnes of payloads.
- The rocket uses environment-friendly propellants, including liquid oxygen, liquid hydrogen and kerosene.
- It can send over 22 tonnes of payload to low-Earth orbit, which is currently the largest low-Earth orbit carrying capacity among China’s rockets.
ABOUT TIAGONG – CHINA’S SPACE STATION PROGRAM
- Tiagong means Heavenly Palace and it will have three modules with living and working quarters and two annexes for scientific experiments.
- China had launched its own space laboratory Tiagong 1 in the year 2011 and Tiagong 2 in the year 2016 .
- The United States is so far the only country to have sent humans to the Moon.
- However, China has also not only successfully sent satellites into orbit and astronauts into space but also landed a rover to the far side of the Moon last year.
ABOUT CHINA NATIONAL SPACE ADMINISTRATION
- National space agency of China
- HQ- Haidian District, Beijing
- Administrator- Zhang Kejian
- China’s Capital-Beijing
- China’s Currency-Renminbi
- China’s President – Xi Jinping
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें