8 Indian Institutes in Top 100 – Asia University Ranking
- Eight institutes in the top 100, India is the third most represented country in the Times Higher Education (THE) Asia University Ranking.
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore retains its top position in the country by attaining the 36th spot globally, eight Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) have also been featured in the top 100. This is India’s best performance since 2016, in terms of the number of institutes. Last time, India had eight institutes in the top 100 in 2016. However, the picture is different in terms of ‘quality’.
- Even as more IITs have been featured in the ranking; THE claims that “overall picture for India’s IITs (is) one of general decline amid increased regional competition”. Apart from IIT-Kharagpur and IIT-Delhi which have improved their performance since 2019, and IIT-Ropar which has debuted in the ranking this year, the rest of the IITs have scored lower.
- “This decline comes despite four Indian institutions improving on their overall 2019 rankings score, suggesting the negative movement is down to the increased number of qualifying universities from across Asia,” THE said in an official statement.
- “Many IITs, including IIT-Bombay, IIT-Delhi, IIT-Kharagpur and IIT-Madras, are making general improvements across teaching, research, and industry metrics compared to 2019. However, at the same time, they are seeing a downward trend in citation scores (only IIT-Roorkee and IIT-Delhi improved from 2019) and continued stagnation when it comes to internationalisation (with only IIT Bombay and IIT-Madras seeing any sizeable improvement),” said THE.
- The premier institutes had earlier this year boycotted the ranking index citing “lack of transparency” in the ranking parameters. THE in a statement had later asked IITs to participate and said that the boycott will be detrimental. In the THE Impact Ranking released just after the boycott, IIT-Kharagpur had given one of India’s best performance by attaining 57th rank globally.
Indian Institues in Top 100-
[table id=40 /]
Global Top 10 Universities-
[table id=41 /]
THE Asia University Rankings 2020 use the same 13 performance indicators. THE claims that varsities are judged in four core areas: teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook.
जीके और दैनिक करेंट अफेयर्स अपडेट हिंदी में प्राप्त करें – क्लिक करें